News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Working on bike with Datatool 3

Started by Gordon C, February 13, 2011, 01:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon C

I have an '03 Tiger with a Datatool S3 alarm (which has been without problems since the bike was new). I want to check valve clearences, fit additional lights etc which will take some time, especially if I have to order new shims. It is also the first time I've done this on this bike so want to take my time.
I do not want to leave the bike in 'service' mode bleeping away & annoying the neighbours.
It after I take the tank off I reconnect the battery would the 'ferry' mode work, thereby leaving the alarm silent?
Any other solutions to working a bike with a Datatool S3 alarm.

Thanks

Gordon
Tiger 2003

SHROPSHIRELAD

I to have a datatool alarm on my 2003 tiger so i'm guessing it's the same one.  When I had my tank off fitting new fuel fittings my battery was disconnected for over a week and with the alarm in service mode the beeping continued but did stop after a short while, must be an internal battery in the alarm I think.  I would like to know what ferry mode is, if I was to leave it in this mode all the time does it remove the movement senor ? letting me move the bike around the garage.

Gordon C

Thanks that's helpful. The alarm obviously has it's own, presumably rechargeable, battery but I expected this to take a long time to discharge. Once discharged I guess you may have to reprogramme the pin number.

Hope I haven't confused matters by mentioning 'ferry' mode. You can arm the system without the movement/nudge function by pressing the oval button on the transmitter. You can then move the bike around/fill up with petrol etc.

If you have not got the datatool user booklet it is available on the data tool website. The booklet does talk of a 'ferry' mode, by groundng the units Yellow wire but I'm not clear how that is any different from just using the oval button.

Cheers

Gordon
Tiger 2003

iansoady

Quote from: "Gordon C"The booklet does talk of a 'ferry' mode, by groundng the units Yellow wire but I'm not clear how that is any different from just using the oval button.

Cheers

Gordon

If you earth the yellow wire then when the alarm automatically arms after the 30 second delay, it does so in ferry mode. If you want to activate the motion sensor, you can use the oval button.

I have mine like this as it's a pain when it beeps at me in the garage when I just brush past.

And it is possible to stop the beeping when in service mode - but needs a bit of tinkering.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Gordon C

Thanks Ian.
However I've resorted to the high tech solution of wrapping a load of old rags round the blooming thing thereby reducing the volume.
Tiger 2003

Timbox2

I too have my yellow wire grounded so I can choose whether to activate motion sensor. I did as you suggested when I had mine in bits for a while, IE connected the battery up again. The downside to this is that if you have the ignition on at all with the tank off, you will get the MIL light on, not a problem for me as I have Tune ECU and can turn it off, if you havent got TuneECU or dealer tool or similar you will have to do the 3 warmup/cool cycles routine, or just ride the bike and it will eventually turn off, assuming nothing has been left disconnected.
2016 Tiger Sport

Spud

I park mine in the garage and just leave it, it does not bleep when I move it. If I want the alarm to work properly so to speak I have to press the button on the fob to arm the alarm. If I remember right I have to hit the button on the fob before switching ignition off to put it in the ferry mode. cheers Spud  :wink:

Gordon C

Thanks chaps.
What happened is that after I'd quitened the alarm I disconnected the fuel lines and got a load of petrol over my boots. So the neighbours then had to cope with not only the alarm bleeping but also to the area smelling like an oil refinery or a bomb factory.
I reconnected the fuel lines & the battery. Now have to think about replacing the fuel connectors (tank side) for ones where the cut of valve works - but that's another thread.

Gordon
Tiger 2003