News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

head gasket?

Started by 2tall, February 14, 2011, 05:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2tall

Should I be freaked about replacing a head gasket on a 885 myself? It's only got about 14K on it but started leaking coolant couple weeks ago. Not real bad mostly when sitting and not too much, no loss of compression. Im kind of in a pinch because the local dealer is in some sort of pissing contest with triumph factory and doesnt want to work on it.

Timbox2

Quote from: "2tall"Should I be freaked about replacing a head gasket on a 885 myself? It's only got about 14K on it but started leaking coolant couple weeks ago. Not real bad mostly when sitting and not too much, no loss of compression. Im kind of in a pinch because the local dealer is in some sort of pissing contest with triumph factory and doesnt want to work on it.

Its not as straightforward as you might be thinking because of the wet liners this engine uses. Both Triumph themselves and the Haynes manual suggest that removing the head will probably disturb the liners meaning they need removing and resealing before replacing the head gasket. Search the forum for liner removal, its tricky to say the least.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Also read threads on many Tigers weeping a little coolant when it's cold.  Common problem and one that most folks ignore.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

2tall

I read a couple posts where there was some leaks around the water pump on cold weather. They ignored em and it was OK.  Mine is pretty clearly coming from front of head gasket area below header pipes. No signs of coolant in oil or vise versa. Bike runs out good like always.  This is my first winter with it and for all I know it's done this before with previous owner but the thought of ignoring it runs against my grain. Thanks for the help.  Great web site.  I dont remember how we kept older unreliable bikes going before the computer.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "2tall"I read a couple posts where there was some leaks around the water pump on cold weather. They ignored em and it was OK.  Mine is pretty clearly coming from front of head gasket area below header pipes. No signs of coolant in oil or vise versa. Bike runs out good like always.  This is my first winter with it and for all I know it's done this before with previous owner but the thought of ignoring it runs against my grain. Thanks for the help.  Great web site.  I dont remember how we kept older unreliable bikes going before the computer.

Nah, that's not what I meant; try here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8983
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

2tall

Wow. Thanks.  May or may not be my circumstance but that thread makes me feel better.  We had a good cold snap last couple months (highs in the 20's Fahren) and thats when it was leaking.  It's been in the 40's and 50's for two days and it doesnt appear to be leaking since I moved it.  I also ran it and it didnt appear to leak when up to temp. Would be cool to have a bike that healed.  Thanks for the help. I wouldnt know how to find threads and such. I'm the guy who doesnt know how to work around a web site. Buy you a beer if youre ever in Idaho.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "2tall"..... Buy you a beer if youre ever in Idaho.

That's Tiger Triple.... friends all over the world  :lol:

Brit/Man

Hi I wish I hade left mine :shock:  read this.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,9023

Or maybe we all hade a bad week :x
So you all know why my english is so bad, I faild my 11+(WGAF) but I'am doing OK in life :-)

I`am to old too die young.

Don`t dream of the past,
Don`t dwell on the future,
Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift.