News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

remap= runs like @#^%

Started by lucky_strike, February 15, 2011, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_strike

:evil:

so i fitted the bike with a TOR can. the bike ran great with the execption of a small pop on decel...and you really had to be listening for it or you would miss it. so i called the local triumph dealer in louisville and scheduled an appt. to bring her in for the offroad remap. when i got it back it popped like uncle bucks car, very low rpm, (700) stalled if you blipped the throttle. over all horrible. cant believe they released the bike to me. so when i got home (15 miles away) i called them. said it is running like shit. they said bring her back. so i put it in the truck and brought it over saturday around 11am. here it is tues and still havent looked at it. wtf.

so my question is a few things. 1. has anyone expeirenced this?  2. whats the fix?  3. shouldnt they be able to reset the ecu back the way i brought it in as?

thanks, i need to have my ducks in a row for when they finally call.
the only bike worth not riding is one that doesnt run

Chris Canning

The answer to you asking if they can reset the ECU to how it was?,no,and hence why untill november last year I'd run the same tune for over 6 years because when you have a new one installed it's a one way ticket.

I'd be very suprised if they don't just down load the tune again,it's 15 minutes tops,there's a posting by me about my experience last year when I had a new tune put in.

Bixxer Bob

What Chris says is right where the dealer is concerned...

But there is a way.......

You can go the way of Tune ECU young Luke.  Buy an OBD 2 cable, download TuneECU (see my Sticky on the subject) read all there is and you too can be a remap Jedi.  

With TuneECU you can reload the original 10120 Tune or any of the other variants.  Sadly it's too late for you, but I always advise newbies to Tune ECU to back up their own tune first, before doing anything else.  that way they have a fallback.

It's impossible to know what the original tune was in your bike, but with the VIN number it's possible to make an intelligent guess.  It's not hard once you've done it once.  The only outlay is the cable and it's cheaper than a dealer remap.

And if you get stuck, just PM me.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

Question is: why would "luckys" tiger run worse with a TOR tune unless they downloaded wrong one, or somehow screwed up the reload ??

jphish

OH yeah - and 'Lucky'... what was outcome of your return to dealer ?? Fixed ?

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "jphish"Question is: why would "luckys" tiger run worse with a TOR tune unless they downloaded wrong one, or somehow screwed up the reload ??

You answered your own question. Dealer screwed up mine during a remap (well documented on here elsewhere) and ended up fixing it myself.

To get a good remap, it's critical that both the bike and the laptop battery are in good shape first.  Better, keep the laptop on mains power, and pull the fuse for the lights so the battery only has to work with the ECU while you're doing it.  If the battery is tired, the voltage drop will stop the remap before it's finished and result in a corrupt ECU - not bricked, but not well either... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

Thanks bixxer' - I will make note of that. I would expect a dealer to know that...but can't take it for granted I guess. Chow', j

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "jphish"Thanks bixxer' - I will make note of that. I would expect a dealer to know that...but can't take it for granted I guess. Chow', j

you can't take for granted that the dealer will put the right map in either.  Mine loaded my Tigger with a speed triple map, and Hassan's had a Daytona map in it :BangHead

Timbox2

as an aside, I was in Fowlers Bristol today talking with a Triumph Mechanic, he said that Triumph have NOT done any new maps for the 955 since around 06/07?? Whos telling the truth?

And my Girly is running perfick again with the Mod AF map, no popping on over run just seems really happy for now.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Timbox2"as an aside, I was in Fowlers Bristol today talking with a Triumph Mechanic, he said that Triumph have NOT done any new maps for the 955 since around 06/07?? Whos telling the truth?

And my Girly is running perfick again with the Mod AF map, no popping on over run just seems really happy for now.

Chris Canning confirmed it if I remember rightly (sorry Chris if it wasn't you).  I haven't gotten round to comparing the latest with the old version yet, I'll try to get it done soon.

Edit:  bit the bullet and got it done.  At 1200 - 3500 rpm and from 0 up to 6% throttle ie the lumpy bit, there's extra fuel, up to 14% more at the peak.  So the latest tune going round from Tuneboy and Tune ECU is definitely not the same tune that was in use this time last year.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Timbox2"as an aside, I was in Fowlers Bristol today talking with a Triumph Mechanic, he said that Triumph have NOT done any new maps for the 955 since around 06/07?? Whos telling the truth?

Chris Canning confirmed it if I remember rightly (sorry Chris if it wasn't you).  I haven't gotten round to comparing the latest with the old version yet, I'll try to get it done soon.

Yep just had an hour on phone with Tim  :roll: ,my missus replys blimey and they say women can talk  :D .

Last november guy at the shop says the email came from Triumph 2 days before I went in,as I said to  Tim still can't beleave their still doing them for a bike that hasn't been made for 5 years,but blimey it ran well on the way home.

I'll tax it at the end of the month and see if it's as good as when I put it away,I'm up to my neck in mud and alligators with other bikes at the mo,even though the Tiger is screwed together and ready to go.

Bixxer Bob

Proof is in the numbers Chris!!!

Timbox2

Im wondering now if when I put that latest tune on it didnt go in properly, it was when I was experiencing issues with the timeouts etc.

Im gonna leave well alone now though as she is running so sweet even if a little juicy, though some of that could be me just twisting the fun button too much  :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

On the new tune I have done 160 miles cruising at around 80mph with little stop /go and got nearly 50 mpg :shock:  That's up 5 mpg.... :D

It's still running fairly well - a little lumpy but no where near as bad as it was - and good power delivery in the midrange although it still pops quite a bit on overrun but generally I'm fairly happy.