News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First start of the year... strange things.

Started by Danny955i, February 16, 2011, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

Started the bike tonight after having the battery on the charger for the day... fired up ok, no big issues.

After it ran for a bit I noticed coolant had puked out of the thermostat... not out of the reservoir... It looked like it was there for a while (before I started it) is it possible, with some sub-0 days, that the coolant pukes?? Really weird.

I ran the bike for about 10 minutes just idling... then I rev'd it and it popped like crazy... way worse than when I parked it last year.

Let it warm up a bit more and let it go up the rev range... holding at 3k, 4k, 5k for small amount of time... pipes started to glow... backed off...

Popping all along the way, gurgling, grunting...

Now, the check-engine light was on this whole time, but I'm almost certain it's due to the battery being dead before charging.

I'm going to hook TuneECU up and read the ECU...

I do have a new fuel pump that's going in it this season (the old one whines and grinds) but, I would have noticed that being the cause last year during the season.

I think I may just be way too lean.

jwray76

Yeah it sounds like it is running really lean. If you haven't ran it in a while it sounds like you may have some gunk in the fuel system.

Bixxer Bob

And look for rodents in the airbox.... :lol:

Seriously though, knowing your combo of filter and pipe, you're gonna be lean anyway, but playing up now when it was ok-ish before suggests something's amiss.  I would re-load the tune to ensure it's not corrupt then start the bike and go straight into the 12 minute tune to reset the trims (I know TuneECU can do that but I 'm not confident that it does it proerply). Then reset the TPS.  Once you've done that take her for a run and see what drops out.  Fresh fuel can only help too.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...