News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What are Steamers selling for?

Started by atokad, February 22, 2011, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

Hey all, what APPROXIMATELY would a very clean, stock 1997 Steamer be worth?  I know it's a matter of where/when/what's available in the market as well as what one is willing and able to pay, so just looking for what a Steamer like this has been selling for "on average".

I currently have a Girly and would like to add to my Tiger "collection" by getting a Steamer and a 1050 someday.  Now may be the time for the Steamer but the price seems a little high to me. Granted, it looks spotless, but I would appreciate your opinion(s).

I am here in the State and see one I might be interested in. about 20k miles. Looks very clean.

Thanks!

Mustang

A really clean version will go for about 3 k USD.
I bought one in 08 that had 36k on it and was loaded with xtras paid 3100 it was an 98

Givis with the rack corbin seat and brand new race tech suspension front (cartridge emulators)and rear (rebuilt showa with new spring) as well as spare gas tank and bagster cover with tank bag .

If it needs tires chain sprockets and brakes , you'll  be looking at 6-700 dollars in parts to get it up to snuff

at 20 k it would be possible that these items are original and in need of replacement check it out .
check for missing spinning captive nuts on the gas tank and fairings, if it has a dreadful rattle that goes away above 3000 rpm it could have the usual broken alternator bolt , most of em do it at least once .
The motor should spin very freely and no slipping  or else it could be in need of a sprag clutch which is only about 300 to replace but you gotta split the cases .
the OEM GILL ignition sensor pick ups usually fail too at around 25 -30 k miles and if it has GILL coils you can expect them to fail at some point in time , but they don't all necessarily fail . it's just pretty common .
and lastly if it has sat around a lot without running it's going to need the carbs cleaned out for sure .
and don't be surprised that most of the plastic body parts (tank included)will have shrunken with age and be a real PITA to get back on after removal.
Oh yeah 1 more thing at being 14 years old most of the rubber bits on the bike should be in sad shape and need replacing if you want it cherry .

atokad

Quote from: "Mustang"A really clean version will go for about 3 k USD.
I bought one in 08 that had 36k on it and was loaded with xtras paid 3100 it was an 98 .

Thanks Mustang - Will let you know if I get it.

atokad

Well,  I did not buy it but someone did. Perhaps they will post up here?

I caught on to it too late to really get the chance to learn more about the Steamers and check this particular one out. I felt it was a wee bit too $$ w/o getting to check it out closer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT