News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger running poorly - things to look for please

Started by ChazzyB, February 22, 2011, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

These bikes are just sooooo frustrating :BangHead
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

When you start the bike and it runs like poo, try switching off at the key and on again and start, see if that will make a difference, sounds daft but has worked before. sounds like IACV to me, sticking up, or barometric pressure pipe gone or not connected. How is the earth from the loom to frame(the smaller wire not the big battery one)
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "metalguru"When you start the bike and it runs like poo, try switching off at the key and on again and start, see if that will make a difference, sounds daft but has worked before. sounds like IACV to me, sticking up, or barometric pressure pipe gone or not connected. How is the earth from the loom to frame(the smaller wire not the big battery one)

No, doesn't sound daft, as the problem has generally manifested itself  when starting the bike, having been running just fine to the point it was switched off, often just a few minutes before.

The bike's coming home from the dealer again this evening. They acknowledge it isn't running right, though at the moment, it's 'only' stumbling a bit coming off idle and not ticking over at the right speed (low). Reading between the lines, they don't want to start replacing bits and not find the problem. Which I can understand, but it doesn't help me get a proper running bike. I'm going to bite the bullet and replace the stepper motor, and double check ALL the pipework again, including I guess, the barometric pipe from the ECU back to the air box. I understand I don't want to blow down it, towards the ECU, though. When I've had TuneECU hooked up, reported barometric pressure has always looked reasonable, just slightly lower than what the barometer says.

It's sh*t like this that puts me right off a bike/brand. I got back into modern bikes as a perceived antidote to the old clunkers I was into. In fact, properly maintained, the old clunkers have a lot going for them - like no fuel injection.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

NKL

Do you start the bike instantly you turn the ignition on or do you let it settle for a second or two, I know my Ducati has to "cycle" its ECU before you hit the button, and my mates 1200GS whent through a rough patch on the way back from Scotland a couple of years back and we put that down to starting too quick because after another stop, it restarted and was fine again. Just a thought
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

If it'll tick over, even if it's lumpy, do the 12 minute tune (that often takes 20 minutes  :D )  Can't do any harm and will sort out any bad trims.  You need to start with a cold engine so leave it overnight.  Start the motor but DO NOT touch the throttle.  Let it idle until the fan cuts in.  Leave it for another 12 minutes STILL DON'T touch the throttle.  Turn her off, let the ECU cycle down (about 3 secs) and you're done.  Go for a ride.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChazzyB

Quote from: "NKL"Do you start the bike instantly you turn the ignition on

No, usually wait a few seconds, then hit the button. Just got the bike back from the dealer and it ran as well as it ever had done. Into my drive, switch off. Open garage door and start the bike again. I instantly knew it wasn't right. Uneven tickover and hesitating off idle. After a minute I switched off. Waited 20 seconds and started it again - even worse now - misfiring slightly on an even throttle at about 2K.

Anyway, the dealer didn't have an IACV stepper motor in stock, and after rummaging around a while, handed me a grubby parts bag containing a stepper off another bike and said to try it! I shall be busy in the garage tomorrow morning. In the meantime, there's some beers with my name on them.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Chazzy, is the ECU relay working?

When you turn off, there should be a pause of about 2-3 secs then you should hear the ping of a relay letting go.  Just a little click, it's one of the relays next to the ECU.  If it's not working the ECU can't store the trims before it shuts down, effectively wiping it every time you switch off.  If it's that it's a cheap fix, (either the relay itself or asscociated wiring) way cheaper than an IACV!!  And it only takes 3 secs to check... :wink:

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Chazzy, is the ECU relay working?

I shall check in the morning! Right now, I'm getting mellow...  :wink:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

metalguru

Another daft idea...Has the IACV got a clean bore to glide up and down on as it will move when first starting? I found a bit of lube (teflon spray) after cleaning works wonders.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

ChazzyB

Quote from: "metalguru"Has the IACV got a clean bore to glide up and down on as it will move when first starting? I found a bit of lube (teflon spray) after cleaning works wonders.

I'll go and get some first thing. Any brands to look for? My local motor factor is pretty good (it's not Halfrauds) and the guys who run it both have bikes, and when I went past this morning, they'd both ridden to work - one of them on his BSA Starfire.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

You can cycle the IACV to check whether it's sticking using tuneECU.

metalguru

I use TF2 by locktite it is expensive in the shops but i found some on Amazon for 60p a tin so bought ten! Don't use WD40 it will stick even more. with my experiences WD 40 should only be used on the hinge of the dustbin before depositing said can.
Lot to be said about my thoughts of a carb conversion sadly progress is slow but will get there in the end. Nothing wrong with the type just the cheap french EFI, Having said that my 885 had powdercoat frame and 955 is silver paint, cutting corners again.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"You can cycle the IACV to check whether it's sticking using tuneECU.

I did that early on in the episode - looked fine, to my inexperienced eyes. It went up and down a few times, then appeared to park itself near the top (but not completely closed) at the end of its exercise.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ChazzyB

Quote from: "metalguru"Having said that my 885 had powdercoat frame and 955 is silver paint, cutting corners again.

My wire-wheel 955 is also powdercoated black.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

metalguru

My wire-wheel 955 is also powdercoated black.[/quote]

Yes later mag wheel ones are painted, DOH.

Have a look at the warm up map on tuneECU and cut down the values by at least half from 40 up and download as my short intensive learning curve has found the ecu when first starting cycles through this map till it works out how warm it is and trims accordingly, might narrow problem down to temp or map. Just had a sudden  :idea: what alarm are you running, is it connected cleanly, try service mode if it has one and cycle the start stop where you have had the problems.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers