News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new steamer owner have questions

Started by kingdomstyle, March 02, 2011, 03:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdomstyle

I have owned a few tigers and i am glad to have another one.I rode it today and noticed that when i shift into second its not as smooth as the other gears.Its like a click in the middle of the shift kinda a snag in middle of the shift.goes through the gears good down shifts good,its just that going into second.Is this normal? should i be alarmed? thanks for any help
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

CoolHandLuke

What year is it?

My 1993 model has been like that since I owned it and I have never had any problems with it in 30,000+ miles.

But, like yourself, I am not 100% convinced it feels right, but I have had a trusted Triumph mechanic take it for a spin, and he said it was fine.

Mustang

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"I have owned a few tigers and i am glad to have another one.I rode it today and noticed that when i shift into second its not as smooth as the other gears.Its like a click in the middle of the shift kinda a snag in middle of the shift.goes through the gears good down shifts good,its just that going into second.Is this normal? should i be alarmed? thanks for any help
sloppy shift linkage the balls are worn out in the rod ends . new or repaired shift linkage helps greatly

John Stenhouse

Nothing to do with the shift through neutral?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Nothing to do with the shift through neutral?
It's highly unlikely to be the ball linkages if it is only one gear.  It's certainly not the problem with my bike.  If it is the same "feeling" as mine, then it is only changing up through neutral.  Like I said, I spoke to the local mechanic who has been working on these for around 20 years and he said there was nothing wrong.

kingdomstyle

mine is a 1996 another thing i noticed on my first ride is a little chug chug when i take off in first,kinda acts like its in to high a gear wasnt sure what was up, any clue? or is this cause bike has set for a year?thanks for help

CoolHandLuke

Hi Kingdom,

Is the gear change issue in all gears or just from 1st to 2nd?

Mustang maybe able to help with the taking off.  Unless someone has changed the standard sprockets or the discs are sticking, I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

There should be 48 teeth on the rear sprocket and 18 on the front.  Good luck trying to count the teeth on the front sprocket! :)

kingdomstyle

from first to second only and will check sprockets,the guy i got it from said sprockets an chain are new.thanks for help!!!!

dave NL

Ever owned a kawasaki? after that you never worry again! Feels like kawa uses the same gearboxes in agricultural machines.   :lol: From 1 to 2 you really have to slam it up, and I found neutrals between gears  :lol: .

As long there are no funny noises when riding, or jumping out of gear (yes I had this on a old bike, jumped out of first gear, had to keep my foot on it during WOT in first  :D ) don`t worry.

For the chug chug, I do think you mean that the clutch gives you some worry there??? Otherwise check or change the oil, synthetic oils can be wrong for some clutches and will give issues, and our steamers are a bit older, semi will do just fine!
Getting the tiger back on the road.

kingdomstyle

guy told me he used silkolene oil idk much about that oil

dave NL

If it was full synthetic, that might explain the cluth slipping a bit and grabbing on funny. I had a castrol full synt. in my zx-9r and the engine ran ferfect, but the clutch also does not like it. Can`t remember the exact type anymore.

Anyway, my 2ct its always a good idea to change oil and filter when you just purchased a bike or car!

Im using power RS of Castrol in the Steamer, which is a semi!
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Mustang

mobil1 4t since new full synth no slip ever even hauling sidecar on tigger 3

kingdomstyle

called the triumph shop today,they dont sell mobil 1 anymore,its castrol now.that was news to me...

CoolHandLuke

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1045-amsoil ... 0w-40.aspx

Amsoil 10W-40.  Opie have it listed under car oils, but it has the JASO MA (Motorcycle Wet Clutch) specification and has not caused me any issues.

Mustang

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"called the triumph shop today,they dont sell mobil 1 anymore,its castrol now.that was news to me...

AUTOZONE and sometimes WALMART