News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stainless Steel Brake Pistons

Started by CoolHandLuke, March 04, 2011, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolHandLuke

I have sent some old Steamer brake pistons to Vaughan at Kitek (Kitek or SS Brake Pistons) for him to make some stainless steel brake pistons for the carb Tiger.  Once he has created a set, these pistons should be a standard order from their website.

I believe these to be A2 grade, but will get clarification.

JetdocX

What about the galvanic reaction between the aluminum and the stainless?  I think you're asking for trouble especially if they salt your roads in the winter.
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

The pistons don't touch the aluminium so there won't be any reaction.

To Add:
The possibility arises between normal steel and aluminium and not just stainless steel.  It is the difference between two different types of metal and not just aluminium and stainless steel.

CoolHandLuke

Nearly all different types of metal react when in direct contact.

When using steel - or stainless steel - bolts on an aluminium crank case, copper slip should be used, due to the low Anodic Index of copper.  This acts as a barrier between the two metals.

A lot of seized bolts on a Tiger are due to this reaction: The steel disc bolts are just one example.

Using stainless pistons is hugely beneficial due to the minimal effects the environment will have on the exposed pistons.  As the pistons are seated in rubber seals, they should never touch the aluminium calipers.  But, if they do, they stand the same chance of galvanic reaction as standard steel pistons.

R0B

More importantly, how much will they be?.

Rob

JetdocX

You don't need contact to make a battery.  All you need is an electrolyte.  Like road salt/water or brake fluid.

Show me a working production application of this and I'll shut up.
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "JetdocX"You don't need contact to make a battery.  All you need is an electrolyte.  Like road salt/water or brake fluid.
Actually, new brake fluid includes additives to prevent it becoming an electrolyte, so the risk is only from salt water.  The outside of the calipers are painted, and there is a rubber seal between the piston and the caliper so the chances of a reaction taking place are slim.  Like I posted before, different metals react, not just stainless steel and aluminium.

Quote from: "JetdocX"Show me a working production application of this and I'll shut up.
To be honest, I don't care if you don't shut up :)
Search Google for Stainless Steel Pistons + Corrosion
But I would like to let the others know there is nothing to the scare mongering...

http://forum.landrovernet.com/archive/i ... 80930.html
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CaliperPistons.html

chairhead

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"I have sent some old Steamer brake pistons to Vaughan at Kitek (Kitek or SS Brake Pistons) for him to make some stainless steel brake pistons for the carb Tiger.  Once he has created a set, these pistons should be a standard order from their website.

Luke,
Would be interested in seeing how much these come out at as i belive they are the same for the Girly(i could be wrong) and im about due a new set,there is another thread on the board from an incomer selling full sets for £68 quid,they are also worth a ponder.

p.s...im not scared

p.p.s... JetdocX shutup! :)
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

CoolHandLuke

Will let you guys know the cost when I get it.

JetdocX

"Scare mongering?"   :roll:  

I'm realatively sure the stock pistons are aluminum just like the rest of the caliper.

The sealing area of the caliper is not painted or anodized.  

I'm just saying, add road salt and water and you get a battery.

Edit:  I've started a science project in my kitchen this morning.  I'll post the results if I'm right or wrong. :D
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "JetdocX""Scare mongering?"   :roll:  
I'm realatively sure the stock pistons are aluminum just like the rest of the caliper.

The stock pistons are steel.

Yes, the internal area of the caliper where the pistons sit is not painted or anodized, but, as the two metals do not touch, and the brake fluid is not an electrolyte, there won't be a reaction inside the caliper.  This leaves the external part of the piston.  As the external part of the piston is also held away from the anodized caliper, by the seals, this will not cause a reaction, either.  Obviously, if you let salt build up on any part of the bike you will get rust and galvanic reaction between any parts on the bike that mixed metal, not just the stainless steel (or plain steel) pistons.

I have struggled to find anything to support your claim - not back mine up and I can only find reports of people using SS pistons in aluminium calipers without issue.  The only caution has been not to replace aluminium pistons with steel.  And as the Tiger OEM pistons are steel, this is not an issue.  Likewise, I even found one link posted by an aircraft mechanic that confirmed mixed metals were used in airplane braking systems.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/sho ... stcount=38

Perhaps you could come up with something stronger than your opinion and a kooky experiment :)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Timbox2

Quote from: "chairhead"
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"I have sent some old Steamer brake pistons to Vaughan at Kitek (Kitek or SS Brake Pistons) for him to make some stainless steel brake pistons for the carb Tiger.  Once he has created a set, these pistons should be a standard order from their website.

Luke,
Would be interested in seeing how much these come out at as i belive they are the same for the Girly(i could be wrong) and im about due a new set,there is another thread on the board from an incomer selling full sets for £68 quid,they are also worth a ponder.

p.s...im not scared

p.p.s... JetdocX shutup! :)

Think your right CH, I am also waiting for the guy with cheap Piston/seal kits to surface again, mine are definately due some
2016 Tiger Sport

JetdocX

[quote="CoolHandLukehttp]
Perhaps you could come up with something stronger than your opinion and a kooky experiment :)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.[/quote]

And ignorance is bliss.   :roll:
From parts unknown.

NeilD

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Will let you guys know the cost when I get it.

for reference, wemoto list 1 stainless piston and seals at £18 - listed under Thunderbird but not the Tiger for some reason?? same calipers..

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Triumph/Thu ... t_Caliper/

rybes

wish i knew that when i was rebuildin me brakes. still its an evenins summer job :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)