News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SOS...Clutch Noise on a long trip???

Started by cdubya, March 14, 2011, 05:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdubya

06 Girly

cdubya

So, Gents.....I just arrived in Sunny So. Cal. from Idaho to visit some pals. My new to me '05 Girly ran fantastically. I do have a question about clutch noise. When I fire up the bike in neutral I hear (what sounds to me like) bearing noise coming from the clutch. Pull clutch lever "in", noise goes away. Let clutch lever out, noise comes back. I noticed this upon purchase but have since put nearly 4k miles on it. Is this clutch noise on these bikes normal?, or am I wearing through a bearing? I left my Haines Manual at home, (DUMB). My mind thinks the noise has increased but I'm second guessing my self.  I'm only about 1200 miles into a 4,000 mile trip and don't want to get stuck out in the willy wags!
Also, if I were to buy the two bearings that bike bandit lists and have them along with me, would that be all I would need?  OR, are there any additional bushings, washers, etc. that will need replacing while in there?  Special tools?  Thanks guys.
06 Girly

Colonel Nikolai

That's not DAR. That's either a problem with the cable adjustment or bearing in your clutch. I had this problem but not on a Tiger. Eliminating a cable adjustment, it turned out to be a total tranny meltdown in progress. Check if you're leaking fluid anywhere. If you can change the oil, inspect the old oil for metal filings. If you find a lotta metal filings or other debris, you can be sure it's some kind of tranny problem.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

It's normal,  both my bikes do it - and you should hear a Ducati!!!

When the clutch is released, the engine is turning the lay shaft in the gearbox but the gears are not driving anything so are free to rattle a bit, when you pull the clutch lever the gearbox lay shaft is released and the rattle goes away.

Think about it, if the noise appeared when you pull the clutch lever THEN it might be the release bearing but not when its released.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Only thing I'd add to the Col's post is this is a Triumph not a Buell.  Triumphs don't - as a general rule - have a history of gearbox woes they are built like the proverbial.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Only thing I'd add to the Col's post is this is a Triumph not a Buell.  Triumphs don't - as a general rule - have a history of gearbox woes they are built like the proverbial.....

True, but what else could it be?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

John Stenhouse

Mine does it too, nothing to worry about as Bob says, it's the internals rattling until you pull the lever.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

cdubya

Thanks for the quick replies fellas.
I'll keep on trucking then I reckon.  Just didn't want to leave a metropolitan area, (access to many tools and parts), with a wounded bike.  BixerBob...makes perfect sense.  I haven't had a clutch apart yet so I don't have a complete visual/understanding on how it operates.  
Onward ho!
Due for an oil change at about Phoenix...I'll have a good look for any metal but I'm hopeful she's just a rattling a bit as normal!
Thanks again for all of the help.
CW
06 Girly

KuzzinKenny

Hey cdubya !! have ya checked yer oil level after 1200ml trip ??

they do burn some !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cdubya

Yessir....checked the earl a couple times on the way down and she's holding steady so far.  I have a qt. on board just in case.  
Bike is getting close to 13k miles.
Thanks for the reminder!
06 Girly

NKL

I thought there was something wrong with mine when I first got it with 11000 miles, its now done 24000 and it sounds exactly the same. So I've ignored it. Not sure if it sounds worse with the 1050 cases.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

cdubya

How about the valve train noise on these bikes since I'm asking.  My Bonnie and Scram are pretty noisy when warm.  Tiger definitely is as well.   I've done some searches and have read the threads about these bikes being noisy.  It just sounds a bit different than what has been described.  The sound I'm hearing on both sides up high at the valves is a bit "tinny", almost like tapping on an aluminum frying pan with a butter knife.  Not really a "ticking" sound.  Just hit 3k on this oil so I changed it at a buddy's man cave this eve before heading out across the desert on the next leg of my trip.  Oil looked fine, no metal.  Hoping I'm ok.  Worried about the tinny "tink" "tink" "tink" of the valves.  Is this normal as well?

Thanks once again gents!
06 Girly

Mustang

the noise you are hearing is because the cylinders are steel cans inside a water box ................they all do it ! :D  :?

you should hear what 40 of them together sound like .

cdubya

Thanks Mustang.
Ha!  Steel cans in a waterbox....excellent description.  I appreciate the quick response.  Eastward bound!
CW
06 Girly

cdubya

As per the great advice given I have been monitoring all of the different sounds coming from my Tiger and they haven't changed a bit.  She's been running fantastically and since my last post I've racked up another 2,600 miles bumping around the S.W. seeing friends and checking out more back roads and towns.  
Some highlights that I would recommend....
*Organ Pipe National Monument, AZ  (Good greasy spoon south of Monument on the US/Mex boarder in Lukeville, good fried eggs and bacon, waitress meaner than a Western Diamond Back Rattlesnake though :) ).

*Arivica, AZ, South of Tucson.  Cool little town with a Cantina and a small lake East of town about 5 miles.  Free camping and a much needed swim/bath.  Beautiful dirt road East from lake with get you to Nogales.  Fair bit of border patrol traffic.  Saw the apprehention of some illegal's as I was rolling along in the a.m.  

*Bisbee, AZ, cool funky town with a colorful history.  Dave's Electric Beer, all flavors fantastic.  Favorites, Dave's IPA "Industrial Pale Ale" and Dave's OK Ale named after the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ.

*Portal, AZ, not much of a town (no fuel) but nice little cafe and an amazing canyon in the Chiricahua's.  Lot's of nice USFS pay camping but ride a little further up the road and loads of free camping in the woods.

*Route 9 from Rodeo NM to Elpaso.  Buzzes along the boarder.  Columbus NM...PONCHO VILLA!!!!

*Alamagordo, NM, White Sand Dunes Nat. Monument.  Larry Ross at Fun and Sun Motorsports in Alamagordo is "the man" if you need parts or maintenance.  Rides A LOT and is a wizard mechanic.  Not a Triumph specific guy....works on anything and everything.

*Ruidoso, NM.  Great riding in this area.  Lots of fun mtn. twisties.  Ride up to Apache Ski Area.  The road is a blast and the vistas will not disappoint.

*Route 60 is a gorgeous rode for many miles through great little towns.  Loads of Forest Service and BLM land for camping.  Endless spur roads heading North and South off of 60, paved and dirt, to be explored.

*Salt River Canyon, AZ.  Great riding, incredible views.

In Phoenix now visiting a highschool buddy.  Next stops, Taos, NM, Durango, CO, Moab, UT, Vernal, UT which are all on the  way home....more or less... :wink:
Thanks again for the advice and shared knowledge guys.
Chuck
06 Girly