News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is this down to tyre choice

Started by BruKen, March 23, 2011, 11:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

I have seen the Sticky in Speaking of bikes section before someone jumps down my throat :D

As my confidence in the tigger grows so too the cornering speed. What I am noticing tho is the rear Tourance I have on is quite liable to locking up which is a problem with me granted (the rear brake is a tad snatchy), but also when going through the apex of a corner when the G loads the bike down the rear gets a single little twitch / slip. Not much, maybe an inch, but it is proportional to my consequent bowel movement 1:20.

All suspension linkages have been double checked and are good. The shock is good, not brilliant, but good. Is this tyre choice?

btw, the sticky says the steamer and the Girly share tyre sizes. For mine at least this is not true. My rear rim is 3.50 wide and the Girly I believe is 4.25. When rebuilding the wheel the wheel builder kept wanting to go 4.25. I should've listened to him, as the choice for 3.50 does now put a limiting factor on choice and availability

Jaythro

I run a  150 70 17 tourance on my steamer and it is fine

Then again I have a little more mass to keep it stuck down :-D

NeilD

currently run standard size tourances, and was pleasently suprised how well they gripped for knobbly-look tyres - I've worn just about to the edge of the rear and occasionally touched down the toe of  my size 10's .. even with the rear down to the wearbars they felt fine..  
what pressures are you using? I've stuck with the reccomended ones in the haynes...
once (if !) I get it back on the road this year I'll have a 150 on the back on a 4.25 rim so I'll be able to compare then..  :)

as for locking up the rear - only if I stamp on the pedal which I did just to try it out  :) but not in normal use... I tend to use the rear brake quite a lot and its nice to have one that works, compared to the one on my T/bird Sport..

D-Fuzz

What is the OEM size for the rear tire on a Steamer then?  I have seen references to 140 & 150 width.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

BruKen

Quote from: "NeilD".............what pressures are you using? I've stuck with the reccomended ones in the haynes...

2.1 bar in front and 2.3 at back.  Seems a bit low to me but then they are radials.

BruKen

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"What is the OEM size for the rear tire on a Steamer then?  I have seen references to 140 & 150 width.

140 / 80 R 17

jwray76

Quote from: "BruKen"
Quote from: "NeilD".............what pressures are you using? I've stuck with the reccomended ones in the haynes...

2.1 bar in front and 2.3 at back.  Seems a bit low to me but then they are radials.

I would agree that is low for street riding. On my Girly I am running closer to  2.6 & 2.9

JetdocX

There's a veritable shitload of info on this site:

http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html
From parts unknown.

NeilD

yep thats what I've been using, although I tend to bung a couple more in the back if loaded up..

BruKen

Quote from: "jwray76"

I would agree that is low for street riding. On my Girly I am running closer to  2.6 & 2.9

2.9 bar at the back is max tyre (manufacturer) loading so going to there fills me with a bit of doubt.

BruKen

Quote from: "JetdocX"There's a veritable shitload of info on this site:

http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

Thanks for the link. I'll need to digest the info as you say....shitloads.

Whatever happenned to the KISS principle  :lol:

JetdocX

Suspension is still kind-of a black art.  The really good people can tell what the problem is by looking at your tires.  I'm not one of them, but I'll be taking my business there really soon.  My Aprilia forks suck donkey nuts right now.
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Well going through the motions I set the static sag on the rear according to Mustangs prescribed 1 inch. I had to remove the shock and spring to see how far I could safely tighten the preload rings. She's on the outer limit now .... Mustang? She had two inches to begin with as the manual simply states NOT PRESCRIBED BY MANUFACTURER. To get to 1 inch the preload went from half to full :(

While riding tomorrow I will fiddle with compression and rebound damping and see if her handling improves.

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"What is the OEM size for the rear tire on a Steamer then?  I have seen references to 140 & 150 width.

140 / 80 R 17

My Tiger currently has a 150-width tire on the back.  It isn't OEM, so I assume it was put on as it is more common.  If 140 is standard, is there any reason I could run a 130/80/17 knobby tire on the rear?  It would only be for off-road use, no highway riding.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

BruKen

Nooooooo. Even if the tyre stays on you'll expose your rim lip /edge to damage. In my observations most knobblies sidewalls shroud the rim lip.