News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas Leak 2004

Started by bkrstv, March 25, 2011, 05:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkrstv

My new to me 2004 995i is leaking gas. It appears tio be near the very rear of tank under the battery area.  I have yet to pinpoint it. May need to take the tank off.  Anyone have experience with a similar leak?  What else can be done?
Thanks for any help with this...
bkrstv

Mustang

CHECK THE TWO FUEL LINE FITTINGS .......USE THE SEARCH BUTTON ABOVE , LOTS OF INFO TO BE FOUND

Bixxer Bob

I really should sit down and learn when and what various models changed - maybe someone with the info to hand could publish a matrix for a Sticky?  Kenny's pretty good on research, I'll ask him.

Reason I mention it is if the 2004 has the later type fuel pump mount (like my 2005 for example) it only has one fuel fitting and it's metal.  It would probably be leaking from the "o" ring in the female coupling.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

To start you off, mine was the very last spoked wheel model built with a VIN of ****WT4198874.

I think the WT4 denotes the 04 model year.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

bkrstv

the two fuel line fittings are dry and don't appear to have a wet line.  I have ordered the replacements to be installed as soon as they arrive.  But the wet is further back, at the very back of the gas tank under the battery case.

TigerTrax

'95-98 Tiger: ( Steamers) 885 carb motor
                   - Styling remained same
'99 Tiger: (Girlies .. with Street Tramp Eyebrows over headlights )
               - Change in body style that remained thru '06
               - Also still had 885cc motor in carb & FI
               - w/o Luggage
'00 Tiger: Mostly  or all FI in 885cc
               - w/o Luggage
'02 Tiger: Eyebrows are gone, Street Tramp cleaned up;
               - 955cc FI
               - With Luggage
'05 Tiger: Cast Wheels added.
'06 Tiger: 1050 heads added to 955 motor
'07 Tiger: NEW Style
              - New 1050 Motor
              - Several component changes
( I don't pay attention to '07 & up; Someone else can fill-in to present )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

NKL

Cast wheels came out in 04, and 06 models have the same 955 head but 1050 cases.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Mustang

Quote from: "NKL"Cast wheels came out in 04, and 06 models have the same 955 head but 1050 cases.
indeed it is cuz if it was a 1050 head it would have shims under bucket and it does'nt

Mustang

Quote from: "NKL"Cast wheels came out in 04, and 06 models have the same 955 head but 1050 cases.
indeed it is cuz if it was a 1050 head it would have shims under bucket and it does'nt

The 06 Tiger engine was the last triumph engine to use shim over bucket design

Bixxer Bob

Thanks for the info guys, PM to Kenny sent.

Apologies to BKRSTV for the hijack

Mustang, could you pull the various bits of info into a new thread please?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Thanks for the info guys, PM to Kenny sent.

Apologies to BKRSTV for the hijack

Mustang, could you pull the various bits of info into a new thread please?

I found this great site but my inter(crap)net is so slow that some of the pdf's take nearly 5 mins to open  :shock:

http://www.fedrotriple.it/cataloghi.html

anyone got fastnet that can look through it and post up ??

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

KuzzinKenny

Last 6 digits of the chassis/Vin number.....

TIGER 885 Carbs - 71698

TIGER 885i 71699 - 124105

TIGER 955i 124106 - 198874

TIGER 955i 198875 -    known as the 05 but came out in 04  :? cast wheel model in Silver, BRG and Lucifer Orange !!
mine is ( WT5210255 )

KK              \\\\\\ LOOK - NEW STUFF ////////////////

ps http://www.bikez.com/brand/triumph_moto ... php?page=3

pps http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/ ... %20%20.htm

some Video stuff on the site  :thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

walker

Quote from: "bkrstv"the two fuel line fittings are dry and don't appear to have a wet line.  I have ordered the replacements to be installed as soon as they arrive.  But the wet is further back, at the very back of the gas tank under the battery case.

if the gasket and fuel fittings on the fuel pump plate are dry - check the other side of the tank at the rear. There is a fuel level sending unit - check that one.

I had one of the rubber hoses that connect the front of the tank with the rear sump crack pretty badly.... check those - they are two rubber hoses that connect the rear of the tank with the front. One on each side.

Check the vent hose. There is one that will let fuel in the filler neck run out to the ground... if that broke or came loose near the frame, it might spew out near the bottom of the battery. It's just a little rubber hose.

Timbox2

I think somebody had issues with the battery box screws being overtightened and pulling out of the tank and getting a leak there.
2016 Tiger Sport

bkrstv

thanks again...

the fuel sender hoses are dry as well.

we emptied the tank today; it still appears to be the most wet at the rear where I can feel (barely see) a nut/ bolt maybe holding the tank to the frame?  I don't have a manual yet so I don't want to get to far into taking the tank off.  I'll check the vent hose as well, thanks.
Is removing the tank a major deal for a semi-mechanic like me? A friend is helping and he is pretty good but neither of us has worked on a Triumph.
I have had this bike 8 days and this was my fear of being over my head mechanically.  I do enjoy learning by working on it and it is great fun to ride.

Push come to shove does anyone know a mechanic you can recommend on eastside metro Atlanta, Georgia?

This newby thanks all you guys for your helpful suggestions!