News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger fuel problem

Started by catswiskas, March 26, 2011, 02:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catswiskas

having a problem with my tiger 900 (carb model) steamer when it starts up cold it only runs on 2 cylinders no3 not firing but steadily starts to run propaly as it warms up.put new plugs in and tried swapping ht coils over but still same problem .have noticed odd time fuel dripping out of airbox and slight missfire while warming up ive cleaned carbs but problem persists any ideas thanks :cry:

Basri...

I had the same problem. If it is not the carbs or coils, somehow, a bad sidestand switch effects the spark, ewertime you hit the starter button when  side stand open, one or more plugs demaged and delivers weak spark, runs on 2 cylinders, once you move, you close the sidestand, after a while 3rd clynder starts to run, you think it is running because engine warmed up, it is running because you closed the sidestand, ewerytime you try to start the bike side stand open, you kill the spark plug slowly, after a while one of the sparkplugs dies and won't fire at all.. I cacelled the switch and problem gone, that worked on my bike, may not work on yours but worth giving a try...
Cut the cables of the sidestand switch at the switch side, (about 2 inches above the switch, than you can always connect them back if it fails) there are 3 cables, attach the brown one to chassis, otherwise engine stops when put it in 1st gear. Don't remember the colours of other 2, leave the other 2 cables free, don't forget to clean the spark plugs or use new ones..Good luck..
Basri,

since 1965...

Mustang

if you have fuel dripping out of airbox you have to take carbs apart
you have at least one of them that the float needle needs attention
sounds like the carb is flooding the cylinder also so it can't fire the excess fuel
trust me it's the carb

also check for water in the gas tank