News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wellnut Hell

Started by 97tiger885, April 04, 2011, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I'm thinking about the high fender mod.  I was thinking that I would make a U-bracket/fork brace to mount a small low fender to protect the radiator and then mount a GS-style beak for the high fender look. I decided to take the front fender off to see what it would look like with the low fender from a GS.  Big mistake.  The idiot CO (current owner) overtighted all of those weird round nuts stuck in rubber sleeves.  I finally managed to remove all of them using a vise-grip. but it was not easy.  I now have nylon lock nuts.  From the parts fiche, it looks as if these things are called "wellnuts."  Is there a good reason to ever use these things?

+++++
Jon

CoolHandLuke

Benefits:

Access needed to only one side of the workpiece
Used with standard metric machine screws
Fastens in blind, burr-free holes
Can be used in closed end holes
Will not mar prefinished surfaces
Helps seal out ambient moisture
Absorbs noise
Electrically isolating
Dampens vibration and shock
Helps prevent galvanic corrosion
Ideal for metal-to-plastic and other mixed material assemblies
Resistant to ozone and weathering in outdoor conditions
Suitable for marine applications
Removable and reusable
Snap-in feature to facilitate assembly line use

NeilD

but apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us??!  :D

mat-tiger1

All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "NeilD"but apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us??!  :D
:XXsunsmile

NeilD

spookily enough I started to remove the front guard side panel today, but someone (definately not me!) has overtightened the screws  :roll: left 'well' alone...

CoolHandLuke

I'll be doing mine in the next few days or so.  Got to remove the original bolts with the tiny hex heads.  I envisage the dremel being used :)

97tiger885

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Benefits:

Ok, ok...I yield.  Lots of good reasons out there, but as I tend to overtighten these things  :oops:  one very good reason for me not to use them if I can avoid them.  

+++++++
Jon

Mustang

Quote from: "97tiger885"
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Benefits:

Ok, ok...I yield.  Lots of good reasons out there, but as I tend to overtighten these things  :oops:  one very good reason for me not to use them if I can avoid them.  

+++++++
Jon
a drop of oil on the threads does wonders for next time you want to unscrew them  :wink:

rybes

Quote from: "NeilD"left 'well' alone...

very subtle :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)