News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I couldn't stand it anymore!

Started by D-Fuzz, April 05, 2011, 08:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I have to do some practising with this bike at low speeds in tights spots.  Is it alright to slip the clutch a bit to keep the revs up?

it's fine just don't overdo it , if you are going to do a lot of "low speed , tight spot riding" I would seriously consider a 17 tooth front sprocket . It will raise your rpm by 600 though on the highway ............75 mph is going to see the tach around 5500

D-Fuzz

No, I try not to do it much, just had to snake my way through a spot where the road was washed out a bit.  Too cold to get wet and wasn't sure what the road was like under the water.

Another question:  It seems that the bike is running a bit rich, you can smell the exhaust when you get off.  Is it because it is so freaking cold?  I don't want to start mucking around with the carbs too much right now because we might actually get warm weather at some point this year.  Otherwise, the bike is running great.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bixxer Bob

In UK, Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) teach the following for slow riding:

Set revs 1500 -2000

Apply rear brake

Let clutch out to the bite point when revs dip slightly

Gently ease rear brake a little to move off,  then control speed with rear brake, leave the clutch and throttle alone.

It takes a bit of practice (but not a lot) and really works.  Wet clutch reduces chance of clutch damage HOWEVER they are only teaching for the purpose of "U" turns and pulling out of junctions.  As Mustang says, off road you could be asking more of your clutch so be careful, don't overdo it. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bob Tosi

Quote75 mph is going to see the tach around 5500

Is this going to be hard on the engine?  What about just short commuting and lots of dirt riding?  Would extended highway rides be detrimental for the engine?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

D-Fuzz

I decided to go for a ride this morning (can't wait forever to get decent weather).  I got onto the backroads just west of my place.  It was a bit wet and muddy, but not too bad.  I started down one road that I have ridden 100 times on my DR in the summer.  It was good for a bit, then gradually became more snow covered until the road was completely white.  The Tiger had no problem with the snow, but a vehicle had driven down the road in both directions, creating 2 sets of icy tracks.  At one point the tracks crossed and as I rode over the crossing, the front wheel went one way and the back went the other.  Down she went!  I wasn't going fast and there was no damage at all.  But I did realise how heavy the bike is, especially with a full tank of fuel.  WOW!!  It was amplified by the fact it was icy under the snow, so it was tough to get good footing.  I also learned that just because I put knobby tires on the bike, it didn' t suddenly become a dirt bike.

Bob, after seeing some of your photos and hearing about your rides, I have a real appreciation for how tough it must be to ride in those conditions.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bob Tosi

QuoteI also learned that just because I put knobby tires on the bike, it didn' t suddenly become a dirt bike.
:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

OMG, the exact thoughts I had after that ride!  I got pinned under the bike a couple of times and was cursing a blue streak!  My GPS, at one time as I was laying under the bike waiting for my buddy, it kept saying "lost satellite connection"........I'm like 'NO SHIT"!.....LOL

Have fun and keep it upright....its a reall challenge....I know! :ImaPoser

D-Fuzz

:iagree It's likely a good thing I was so pissed off about going down because I needed a good adrenaline boost to lift the bike back up.  I can't imagine doing that more that a couple times a day.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bixxer Bob

My sister, who is not an engineer ( but that doesn't preclude her from having ideas that are good in principle) and is of small stature, asked if I could make something to help her get her bike up after drop recently.  I haven't gotten round to looking at it yet, but here's the idea anyway.

She wanted a telescopic pole with a fork on the end that could be slipped under the bike and located on the footrest that would be short enough to carry on the bike, but extend long enough to enable her to lift the bike and then walk toward it as she continued the lift.  Telescopic wouldn't work as it would be hard to get the rigidity reqd, but maybe a 3 or 4 section folding arrangement would work, I have a length of sturdy aluminium channel section that might work.  Hmmm.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

The problem is most people dont pick up a bike correctly. There are a couple of techniques that hinge around where the balance point of the bike is. Here are a few

I watched a slip of a girl pick up a GS like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkBN1ENtWz8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXHsgJzPIe4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo&feature=related

D-Fuzz

I pretty much used the same technique as the fella with the GSA.  My problem was it was rather slippery uner the snow, so it was tough to get good traction to push with my legs.  I ended up using a lot more arms than I normally would have.  Given the temps at the time, my tongue would likely have stuck to the windscreen if I'd tried that other trick. :P
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

D-Fuzz

I got my Thunderbike crash bars mounted up today.  What a tedious friggen job!  Most of the bolts are easy enough to put in, but I really enjoyed the one on the left side where you have to drain the coolant, disconnect the hose to the waterpump, find just the right angle to get that stupid torx bit in to loose the bolt, and then try to put it all back together again.  Oh well, I like the way they look and they will protect the bike better then next time it goes for a sleep. :wink:
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bob Tosi

QuoteOh well, I like the way they look and they will protect the bike better then next time it goes for a sleep.

I have personal experience with Tigers taking naps during rides!  One time on my last ride she got so sleepy she fell asleep on my leg! :ImaPoser   Good thing I had my Alpinestars on.

Seriously though the " Thunderbike " bars really work well!

Putts255

Good Job D-Fuzz.  I got my crash bars mounted up on Sunday.  The bike is currently in a few pieces in the garage.  Pulled the front forks off and drained the oil, cleaned them up real nice and refilled etc...  Oil was a brownish colour but not real bad.  

Will finish putting them back on tonight after I clean up the calipers etc...  

Just a heads up there are a couple 2003 and 2006 Tigers that have hit Kijiji in Alberta the last week or so.  One is in Calgary, orange I think.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Bob Tosi

QuoteFather of 2, married 24 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."

_____

NICE!

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Putts255"Good Job D-Fuzz.  I got my crash bars mounted up on Sunday.  The bike is currently in a few pieces in the garage.  Pulled the front forks off and drained the oil, cleaned them up real nice and refilled etc...  Oil was a brownish colour but not real bad.  

Will finish putting them back on tonight after I clean up the calipers etc...  

Just a heads up there are a couple 2003 and 2006 Tigers that have hit Kijiji in Alberta the last week or so.  One is in Calgary, orange I think.

I saw that orange one, very nice.  Not sure I'd trade my Steamer for one though.  But then, I haven't ridden a Girly yet either to make a comparison.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black