News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

W.T.B. 955I Tiger motor

Started by h2omoto, April 10, 2011, 01:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2omoto

Hello all... I am looking to buy a 1999-2006 955I Tiger motor. I am open to all options. My Tiger went belly up at 49000 to the tenth of the mile. I disassembled the motor and found #2 rod bearing worn beyond replacement. It destroyed the crankshaft too.  :evil: I have scoured the internet and been unsuccessful. There are the normal suspects on E-bay but none worth the time and money.Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
moto-maniac

AK Tiger

Is there a possibiity of having the crankshaft welded and ground back to stock?  It's certainly cheaper than a different engine with unknown internals.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

h2omoto

Well that thought has crossed my mind and I even checked with a machine shop about doing the work. The problem is that the rod and main cap are also ruined.  Now I know yon can fix those as well. The only problem with that is, by the time I pay the machine work on both of the items, I could just by a new crankshaft and rod/main cap.

My idea is if I can find a motor that is running and in ok condition I will pull that motor down and "freshin" it up. New mains bearings, rod bearings, gaskets, ect, ect, ect. Either way I am going to be out alot of MONEY! I just hate to "throw away" the bike. Everybody says it is not worth fixing. I beg to differ...
moto-maniac

Mustang

Quote from: "xtphreak"look on fleabay for "maxsalvage" up in hookset, nh

I just got a 2000 frame from him (Bambi Ambush) and I'm pretty sure he has a 955 lower end on there also

good luck, I'm trying to get everything swapped over in the next couple weekends for a ride the end of the month

:iagree  maxsalvage is  like 40 miles from me

hrdrckclmr