News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

is the 1999 a good year

Started by kingdomstyle, April 11, 2011, 02:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdomstyle

is the 1999 a good year ant issues,cause i have a chance to buy a really clean one with new bags,lots farkles,20,000 miles for 4,000 buck does this sound good
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

Mustang

sounds pricey for a  12 year old bike ............jus sayin

**EDIT** ok I looked  Kelly Blue Book Trade in Value is $2480 retail value is $3695 middle of the road is $3000 which would be about average price for a 99  with 20 k

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like the seller is trying to recoupe the cost of the farkles, which as we all know, is never going to happen.

My approach would be to tell him the worth of the bike, add up the cost of his farkles, assuming they're in good nick and - if electrical - have been done properly not lashed up, and then come to some agreement on what they add to the price.  Ebay is a good gauge for the used worth of farkles etc.

It's a lot of work but you'll arrive at a price that's fair to both; I used this approach to prevent being knocked down in price when selling my farkled 650GS.  Or you could just go with your gut and see what he'll take.  Good luck!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Buy a 955 it's a much better bike.

Hassan

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Buy a 955 it's a much better bike.

+1

U can get a nice 955 for 4000 bucks.Better technology,more horsepower...
\'99 885i

Chris Canning

I don't day that because I've got a 955(although I do) it's because I had two 885i's before it.

kingdomstyle

he is at 3500 now
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

PeteH

Or a 1050..they`re even better.

I`ll have had my 99er for six years in August and still love her, does everything I need including putting a smile across my miserable face.
Ok, she`s down a few ponies on the 955 but for real world riding does it make that much difference??

Just had a quick gander on ebay uk and found a few 885i`s and they`re looking a tad expensive. One`s at a breakers for £2000 and probably needs that again spent to put it straight, anothers at a dealers and they want £2995 which is more than I paid for mine :shock:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Danny955i

955i ftw.

Fuel injection, power, comfort, 6 gallon tank... do it.

1050 is better than a 955i... but you'd be HARD pressed to find one under 5k.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "PeteH"

Or a 1050..they`re even better.

Ok, she`s down a few ponies on the 955 but for real world riding does it make that much difference??

As already said 1050's ain't cheap.

As for real world riding,e'r yea like two up, a world of difference,having cris crossed europe on an 885i we didn't travel any quicker on a 955,the bike just didn't work as hard and neither did I riding it.

I took my 885i in for a 12000 service in 2001,test rode a 955 and never went back for the 885,different league.

metalguru

Had an 885 till last September till an errant horse came my way at 04.30 at 60 mph so that was the end of that, brilliant bike and loved riding it, but after the horsey thing I was 'forced' onto a 955 (yeah right). What a difference a redesigned engine can make, it is a far better and easier bike to ride than the 885. The handling is superior aswell. The prices any tiger is fetching is beyond belief, the way it's going anything with Triumph on the tank is a good investment.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Hassan

Sorry to hear that.
\'99 885i

hooligan971

Bought mine last August. It had been in a collection and only had 2000 miles on the clock. Rode it from NY to Va the day I bought it pretty much knowing I might have problems but trusting my gut feeling from the test ride that she was capable.  About 50 miles into the trip, I thought I had made a huge mistake buying a bike that sat for a decade only clocking 50 mi every 6 months when I heard a terrible racket coming from the mill while sitting in traffic . Sounded like a broken valve and I shut her down in the center lane of a 5 lane highway between concrete walls and no shoulder, dreading the crap i was about to get from the cagers. Turned out  to be a bolt from the ignition switch rattling in the cooling fan.
I've put 7000 miles on her since then,   HARD   miles. Trying to make any issues appear before I do my coast to coast ride. I'm confident I could leave tomorrow. Not the fastest bike I have, but it's my mule, and plenty fast enough. Haven't found a v twin yet that could think of hanging with me, on any road.
Stock suspension was junk front and back and this is common knowledge, but other than that, I'm happy with my 885i , and I know several others who are also.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Loops

Ok so the 885 is a cracking bike don't worry.  90% of the time you won't miss the extra grunt from the 955.

Had my 885 since '99 and now she's done 78k miles.  Nothing major gone wrong at all.  Still on original, clutch & clutch cable, throttle cable, cam chain, fork seals.  Never had any dash lights go.  A few headlight bulbs and tail lights though.

The usual stuff has worn out discs  pads  tyres  chain  sprockets, some bits replaced after a spill on a track day (damn R1s).  Rear shock at ~55k miles.  Clutch switch gums up with dirt and stops her starting first prod.

Literally this weekend just replaced fuel tank sender, throttle position sensor and the IACV vacuum tubes. Great to have a gauge again and no surging on decelaration.

Today I did 247 miles two up before the fuel light came on - mix of quick A roads 70mph and country lanes.  Filled 21 ltrs (4.62 gal UK) so that's 53.46mpg uk.  Well pleased with that thank you.

Truth is I have the faith in the old girl to head off to Portugal in June - thats about 3500-4000 mile round trip.

Most of the parts are interchangeable with the spoke wheel 955 anyway.

I would say that a 20k 885i Tiger this side of the pond would be about £2000-2500 but only for an absolute mint one with accessories, usualy they're around £1500-1750.  So my advice is negotiate that $4000 down some.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)