News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Temp Gauge not working

Started by DWNUNDR, April 13, 2011, 03:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWNUNDR

Just picked up a clean steamer (bike that is ;) ) and have noticed the Temp Gauge isnt working.. so far all the wires seemed to be plugged in...  Is this a common issue??

very new to these bikes... very new
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

D-Fuzz

If the bike is running properly, the temp gauge doesn't rise very much.  Or does the needle stay resting on the stop peg?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

cascadetiger

My gauge quit late last year.  It turned out to be the sensor unit.  It was a simple and cheap fix. I understand this is a common issue.

Mustang

Quote from: "DWNUNDR"Just picked up a clean steamer (bike that is ;) ) and have noticed the Temp Gauge isnt working.. so far all the wires seemed to be plugged in...  Is this a common issue??

very new to these bikes... very new
sensor failure and the new replacement ones will have readings all over the place from one to another , I got a new one off bike bandit once that would make the temp gauge read half way up the dial ,
what dfuzz said..if the oem sensor is working the temp gauge doesn't go up much .
let it run at idle for 15 minutes or so with no wind thru the radiator and you should see the gauge go up at least halfway if not farther .

DWNUNDR

thanks for the replies... but yeah it doesnt move at all... even though I rode it almost an hour to class....

Mustang

unless you were sitting in traffic it's entirely possible that your gauge and sender are fine . early spring in MN is not going to get the gauge to move much at all while riding it . leave it running in the driveway for 15 minutes or so and then see what it says , let it get good and hot and test to see if the sensor in the radiator turns the fans on , thats the one you want to work .

cascadetiger

When my sender went out, the gauge would work for a while then peg in the red zone and stay there.  Kind of scary until you realize the motor is not overheating and it must be the gauge.

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"unless you were sitting in traffic it's entirely possible that your gauge and sender are fine . early spring in MN is not going to get the gauge to move much at all while riding it . leave it running in the driveway for 15 minutes or so and then see what it says , let it get good and hot and test to see if the sensor in the radiator turns the fans on , thats the one you want to work .

During riding my guage goes to the first line right at the bottom of the normal temp range. Town riding in bad traffic or idling on the driveway will send it to the 3/4 mark. Never have I known the fans to come on. Ever! but the fan works if I short the sensor leads out. It worries me a bit tbh. The book of words says the fans come on at 110 deg C so checking it in a pot of boiling water wont help. How do I know it is fully functional without risking overheating the bike?

Mustang

ride it hard on a humid , hot summer day get stuck in rush hour traffic afterwards , they should be on .............oh wait , does it ever get hot and humid in UK or just wet  :ImaPoser

if in doubt buy a new sensor , they are not that expensive and takes like five minutes to change it out .

BruKen

Ja, it's one of those chores I never seem to get around too.

:cry: and just wet. Always wet. I miss Safferland :cry:

R0B

I ran my bike up the other day whilst stationary to check it. The fan came in with the gauge reading half way..............no where near red............so it just proves mustang's point.

Rob

GavD

Thats about the same as mine
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

DWNUNDR

thanks again.. I will do what you suggested...

97tiger885

Quote from: "BruKen"Never have I known the fans to come on. Ever!

I was worried about that too.  I solved the problem by having a hot switch added.  Now, I can turn the fan on whenever I want.  If I am idling in hot weather I will turn it on prior to the sensor doing it.  It also makes it easy to test whether the fan is working.  This type of switch is nice because it is easy to use with gloves.  Pull out, push in.

+++++++++
Jon