News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bloody alternator bolts

Started by R0B, April 22, 2011, 01:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

Some bright spark in the 16 year old history of my bike tightened the alternator bars with a 6 foot bar........I have got one out, rounded the threads of another without marking the tool and snapped a good quality torx bit so far..............IF and I do say IF, I manage to get the other one our undamaged, then I now face the prospect of having to fill my alternator with metal swarf from drilling.......so much for my easy alternator rattle fix!!.

Anyway, Happy Easter and enjoy your bank holiday :-)

Rob

Nick Calne

Tools down, deep breath, cup of tea, have an Easter egg.

Good luck with it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

the bright spark was someone with an air impact wrench at the factory when it was built .....I have yet to take an alternator off a t309/ t409 engine that didn't break at least 1 torx bit on .
there are other bits on the engine that are the same bloody tightness, cam cover caps and pickup sensors come to mind .

JetdocX

Heat and Kroil.  Don't set your bike on fire, though.  Remove the gas tank just in case.  Same thing happened to me.  But it cost me 4 torx drivers.
From parts unknown.

R0B

Yep, well I got my impact driver out, and promptly snapped my impact bit as well.................got my drill out with a long 10mm bit, and they came of effortlessly :-)......the remainder of the thread undid after removing the alternator..........but I'm glad it wasn't just me snapping torx bits........might get a couple of teng tools ones for next time, at least they'll be free replacements!!

................and after all that it went peachy until I wanted to get the clutch basket back on..............lining that bloomin' rear gear with the basket...........what a basket!!!. I have yet to torque up the clutch basket nut........104nm....I'm not really sure I want to do that with my basket clamp.......I have visions of the basket disintgrating!!

Rob

NeilD

Quote from: "R0B"and after all that it went peachy until I wanted to get the clutch basket back on..............lining that bloomin' rear gear with the basket...........what a basket!!!.

tell me about it, I used up my full range of sweary words, and questionned the parentage of the person that 'designed' it !!  :D

R0B

My engine adventures also include my other Tiger, which is also suffering from DAR and as a bonus a fooked sprag. It's currently on the bench awaiting Triumph reopening after the bank holiday. I would have ordered the parts before splitting the engine, but they couldn't tell me if the sprag was a 51 or 53 toother (how poor is that). My machinist friend will be drilling out my 8mm alternator shaft to convert it to the 'latest' type. The hole now being 8.5mm straight through (interestingly the new part is made in Taiwan). The genuine triumph bolt, nut and washers are available for about a fiver. I will end up with a spare, so any bikes I have in the future should be an easy cheap fix.............ha ha

R0B

Things are improving. I have one bike back together with a working tacho, no DAR, having had new tyres, new caliper pistons and seals, an oil change and a Hagon shock!!.....it might even have an MOT next week!!

The other one awaits parts at Triumphs pleasure, an igniter from ignitech and then merely putting back together. I am severely tempted to get another aftermarket shock, and also get on with my mag wheel conversion......whilst it's in bits.........and as I'm going away on one of them in just over two weeks, I need to get a hurry on:-)

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"the bright spark was someone with an air impact wrench at the factory when it was built .....I have yet to take an alternator off a t309/ t409 engine that didn't break at least 1 torx bit on .
there are other bits on the engine that are the same bloody tightness, cam cover caps and pickup sensors come to mind .

I was lucky on both my 885 Triumphs: they came off pretty easily. I suspect both bikes had the DAR done already. They had a curious green spray paint dot over the alternator spline bolt. Is that factory or not?  And I was amazed at how tight the cam cap screws: they're supposed to be what 11 foot pounds? That's only a bit tighter than hand tightened.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.