News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shudder or maybe unbalanced tire question

Started by Putts255, April 23, 2011, 08:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

So i have done a lot to the bike this last week.  And because of the cold weather I did not ride it after doing each thing.  So I am having a difficult time figuring out why, after a short 30 minute ride this afternoon, the bike woudl almost shudder at around 35 miles an hour.  

Here is all I have done:

Drained fork oil, replaced with 15w ( way to rigid now, will remove half and refill the same amount I remove with 7w this week)

Removed front and rear tires, replaced both tires with new Shinko 705's.  Balanced tires on my work bench with a couple jack stands and the axle clamped, followed instructions on Triumphrat that I downloaded.  

Top of shock was previously 1 inch above the yoke, I remounted them flush with the yoke.  (not sure I like this, the bike used to feel much more responsive before.)

Mounted new Fehling engine guards.  Tightened engine mount bolts back to factory spec's per the manual.

I am really thinking it is the balancing I did that is not right.  Would you suggest I remove all the weights I put on?  And take a ride without them to see if it goes away or is different?  I ended up putting 6 weights on the back wheel (3 on each side of the rim) and only 1 small weight on the front. I guess it would not harm anything to try this out.

Another thing that comes to mind is I also only tighten the rear axle at 85NM which is what the manual says, I know that before I purchased the torque wrench I was tightening much tighter in the past.  

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Mustang

I suggest you throw all the weights away and buy 4 ounces of dynabeads
......2 oz. in each tire , the shinkos will love them .

after you use dynabeads you will never balance a motorcycle tire again ,

They work period , and to all you naysayers well you obviously have never tried them . once you use them you will be amazed !

for you canucks here's a web site just for you .............
http://dynabeads.3dcartstores.com/

jwray76

i agree with the dynabeads.

also your forks wouldnt really be that much stiffer from higher weight oil. make sure u put the correct amount before u go changing the weight again.

D-Fuzz

Paul, what street/road were you riding on?  Or did it matter?  I noticed something similar this spring, before changing tires, on a stretch of road where there is a lot of heavy vehicle traffic.  I soon figured out it was the crappy road surface as there are small ripples in the asphalt from the big trucks braking and accelerating.  At the speed you are talking about, it is just the right oscillation for you to notice.  Any faster or slower and it went away, or if I got out of the tire tracks.

That said, I ordered up some of those Dynabeads to try out.  I've tried balancing tires on axle stands  and other home built methods, but I'm not sure I ever get them right.  I usually end up using a lot more lead weights than I think I should be using.

Any photos yet of the bike, now that you've hit the road with it?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

Okay, I will order up some Dynabeads as well.  I did not think they fit inside a tube tire.

I only stuck to main roads because of the sand and pea gravel all over the roads from the winter that never ends and it is terrible on the side streets.  

I will go for another longer ride this afternoon as I have a bone to pick with the triumph dealer as the broke a small piece of the front cowling when I had it in for the recall work.  I am sure the mechanic will say he did not do it but I still want them to know how pissed off I am.  

I just need to clean off the back section and will be taking some pictures this afternoon.  Mind you I cannot believe I slept in so late today, have not been able to sleep in in months, next thing you know I look up at the alarm clock and wowza it is 10:55...thank God!!

As far as fork oil I will maybe take 25 ml's out of each shock first then re-test to see if that helps.  

Thanks for the assistance Gents.  I will let you know how I make out.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

_____

D-Fuzz

If you are riding the main roads, it may very well be the road surface.  Like you said, give the condition of our roads right now, we don't have much choice.  I'd ride it the way you have it set up for awhile and see if it changes.  Did you put in more fork oil than specified?  If not, I would leave it for the time being.  It is difficult to identify a trend after just a short ride.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Putts255

I am going to head out in 45 minutes to the Triumph dealer who is on the West side.  It will be a good 35 minute ride there and then I will take the ring road around the city to really get a feel for it.

Another note is I put the MRA Vario shield on, not convinced it will do much for the highway speed ride yet.

_____

Putts255

Well I am back from my hour and 30 minute ride this afternoon.  Did some city and highway.

I stopped by my local dealer and they sell the Dynabeads in 1 oz. packs for $4 an ounce. So I bought 4 in total 2 for the front and 2 for the back.  Will remove the weights tonight and add the beads.  

But here is the rub.  I am not sure the vibration is at speed or the engine itself.  I tried to reproduce it by increasing my speed then pulling in the throttle and coast down to a lower speed.  No go.  But when I would let the clutch out and increase the throttle the vibration seems to be there around 3200 RPM's.  I know that when I road the bike last fall there was no vibration.  

I wonder if adding the Fehling bars has created this vibration or maybe enhanced a slight vibration that was there before?

Here is a pic ;)

_____

KuzzinKenny

Worth checkin !! put the bike up on the centre stand and check each link for movement, you might have a seized link !! that would cause a vib !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Putts255

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Worth checkin !! put the bike up on the centre stand and check each link for movement, you might have a seized link !! that would cause a vib !!

KK

Hey KK, do you mean in the chain?

_____

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Putts255"
Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Worth checkin !! put the bike up on the centre stand and check each link for movement, you might have a seized link !! that would cause a vib !!

KK

Hey KK, do you mean in the chain?

:thumbsup

:roll: it does help if i'd put that  :D

i had a couple of seized links in me last chain, you can work them free but i got a new chain in the end !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

TigerTrax

I doubt it's your balancing that you feel at 35 mph.

Unless it's pretty bad... a seized link will be felt at intial roll-on from a dead stop  only for about 20 feet or very slow travel.
But check your chain for tightness; Alignment; Check your sprockets.

If this bike is new -to-you..... who knows... you have to take apart and check everything. I spend at least 2-3 days doing just that before I even ride it.

PS: Great looking bike...... just like mine: Black: Obviously the best.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

brad1098

Wow.  One of those fast black bikes!!!!

Dynabeads-Do they work in tubes?

My bet is ur chain is tight. Tigers like em kinda loose.
02 black-Lorna

Tigertriple

I would suggest that you check you engine bolts are all tight. I had a similar problem and found that the top rear bolts were slack. Once tightened no more problems.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Mustang

Quote from: "brad1098"Dynabeads-Do they work in tubes?

very very well ............... :D