News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Airbox and hesitation issues/questions

Started by DWNUNDR, April 24, 2011, 03:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWNUNDR

From what I am reading the Tigers/steamers are kinda touchy with the airbox and jetting...

I picked my 96 up about 3 weeks ago and so far it rides nice.. that is until I decided to get on it one day pulling onto a freeway and at around 4100 it flat spotted.. like someone dropped an anchor...

In Neutral you whip the throttle and it has a hesitation... under heavy throttle in gear it bogs at around the 4-5K and if you hold it it stutters then tries to go... but if you roll the throttle on accelerating normal it is smoooooth...

There is only one cap on the airbox (which is normal from my reading)

A question I do have is with the snorkels/rams... are they a split box design or should they be sealed... mine seem to be able to be split if you lift on the tab looking part when removing the seat...

keep in mind I am very green on these bikes

thanks for any info or advice
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

JetdocX

If something has changed, it's probably carb problems.  Time to rip them out and disassemble, change the o-rings and put an inline fuel filter in.  Well, that's what I do whenever this happens...YMMV!
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Time to rip them out and disassemble, change the o-rings and put an inline fuel filter in.  Well, that's what I do whenever this happens...YMMV!

You must have a lot of inline filters in there by now  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "DWNUNDR"From what I am reading the Tigers/steamers are kinda touchy with the airbox and jetting...

I picked my 96 up about 3 weeks ago and so far it rides nice.. that is until I decided to get on it one day pulling onto a freeway and at around 4100 it flat spotted.. like someone dropped an anchor...

In Neutral you whip the throttle and it has a hesitation... under heavy throttle in gear it bogs at around the 4-5K and if you hold it it stutters then tries to go... but if you roll the throttle on accelerating normal it is smoooooth...

There is only one cap on the airbox (which is normal from my reading)

A question I do have is with the snorkels/rams... are they a split box design or should they be sealed... mine seem to be able to be split if you lift on the tab looking part when removing the seat...

keep in mind I am very green on these bikes

thanks for any info or advice
the snorkels are just as you describe .not sealed

the flat spot at 4100 can be cured with 105 main jets and lift the needles in the carbs ,although the mikunis generally are already well sorted from the factory . But that doesn't mean someone hasn't been in there and changed stuff .

Mikunis had 105's main jets as standard you could try opening the pilot air screws 1/2 turn at a time or try a #40 pilot jet

and keep in mind they are CV carbs which have an inherent slow reaction time anyway compared to say a flatslide carb . takes a second for the vacuum to lift the slides and needles

DWNUNDR

Thanks Mustang,

yeah it isnt really a small pause... its like... if I dont back off a little it will flat spot for almost as long as I hold the throttle wide open... (which I dont do long for obvious reasons)...

I guess Ill put up with it till next winter as being new to it and it being purchased for a commuter I cant afford to have it down too long (especially if I screw it up)....

guess Ill go search for the link with the diagram to find where the pilot air screws are located...

Mustang

Quote from: "DWNUNDR"Thanks Mustang,

yeah it isnt really a small pause... its like... if I dont back off a little it will flat spot for almost as long as I hold the throttle wide open... (which I dont do long for obvious reasons)...

if it is doing that you need bigger main jets , if it has 105's in it now .which it should if it's a 96...................try some 110's

or quit whacking it WFO :ImaPoser

DWNUNDR

quit whacking what  :shock:

haha well I only did it one day honestly... but seriously I only have done it twice... once pulling onto an on ramp onto a highway and down my gravel road yesterday I gave it nuts open and blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah nothing...

so I will ride it and enjoy it for now till winter... then when it hibernates Ill take a look

fishnbiker

Any info on when the valves were last checked? I had the same condition, sometimes relieved a bit by adding more choke. A valve adjust cleared it all.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

DWNUNDR

TBH I have no idea.... I will get in contact with the previous owner and see what he knows... he didnt have the bike long...