News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replaced airbox/sparkplugs... now wont start...

Started by Jomama, April 28, 2011, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jomama

This is only the second time I've torn into the top part of the steamer, but last time (installed nology coils, tried to seal airbox which didn't take, so replacing it this time) I had no problem getting it running after that first disassemble/reassemble.

Had this bike since 06', and its always started right up..  It started fine right before I disassembled...

Replaced the plugs with new NGK's.. Gapped them to the FSM...  Old ones had some black dry carbon but nothing excessive imo.

Reassembled last Sunday, and tried to start, and it just rolls over and over...   I cant figure out what I possibly missed.

In my less than expert opinion, it sounds like its not getting any spark..  I could see messing up one of the plug wires or something, but every one? (I've since gone back and made sure all three had firm connections)

I labeled all the coil wires, and put the same coils back in the spots they were before.  I don't see anything else that I might of disconnected.

Battery was older, but had been working fine and kept on a tender... But I even went and picked up a new bat.

Fabbed up a aux gas tank out of a little gas can so I can now try to start it with the tank off..

Any thoughts?  I'm pretty good with wrenches and bolts, but carbs and electrical are not my strong suit.

Thanks for any help.
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser

JetdocX

Try putting the old coils back in?
From parts unknown.

Jomama

Quote from: "JetdocX"Try putting the old coils back in?

I will look for them, but I don't think I have them anymore.  The bike has run fine for the last 2-3 years on the nologys.  Also, what are the odds that all 3 would fail at the same time?

What controls/delivers power to the coils?  Meaning is there a distributor or its equivalent?  W/out unwrapping the wiring loom, idk whats at the other end of the two wires that plug into each coil?
1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "Jomama"Fabbed up a aux gas tank out of a little gas can so I can now try to start it with the tank off..

is your homemade fabbed up tank vented? if not needs one

Jomama

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Jomama"Fabbed up a aux gas tank out of a little gas can so I can now try to start it with the tank off..

is your homemade fabbed up tank vented? if not needs one

Doh... It is, but I think it was closed tight.  Thanks.
1996 Tiger

ArcticTiger

There is a switch on the handlebars right side, have you checked its position :?:
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Jomama

Thankfully I'm not that dumb..

But dumb enough that I now have a sinking feeling in my stomach that I jacked up the sprag clutch.   :cry:
1996 Tiger

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Jomama"Thankfully I'm not that dumb..

But dumb enough that I now have a sinking feeling in my stomach that I jacked up the sprag clutch.   :cry:

Is the starter just spinning without cranking the motor?

Did you hear a loud slap from deep inside the engine when you cranked before this happened?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

dave NL

Have you tried to put back the old plugs?
Getting the tiger back on the road.

NeilD

Guess its back to basics then... pull a plug and see if you are getting any spark.. then check if  the plugs wet when you pull one after cranking over ie is there any fuel getting through...

dave NL

Probably the new plugs will give a spark when you test them outside the cilinder. Just swap with the old working plugs and see again.
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Jaythro

If you have no smell of petrol from the exhausts "Tap" the carbs sharply (that was a firm tap not a heavy thump!) with a hammer and keep an eye on the bottle to see if you have bubbles

If the carbs were sitting off and the float needles sitting against their stop they might have stuck there

Jomama

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Is the starter just spinning without cranking the motor?

Did you hear a loud slap from deep inside the engine when you cranked before this happened?

No it sounds like its spinning the motor.  Exhaust is huffing and puffing a bit, but its not firing at all.

Before this..  Never..

Since trying to restart after re-assemble, yes there have been some "ptang" type loud noise...  its not consistent.  And it will turn over several/half-dozen times before doing it again..

I will try to put the old plugs back in over the weekend when I have a little time and try it..  But I think I f$#ked it myself...

Be ware!!!  My battery was not what I would consider "weak" by any stretch of the imagination.. It started up fine before dis/reassmbly..  Which imo means the threshold for a "weak" battery causing this is very, VERY high... Like buy a new battery every other year?  I was fully aware of not starting with low batteries, not rolling it back in gear, etc....  I didn't run it down trying to start it either.. I tried for approx 2 min at a time...  Then walked away to let the battery recharge..

I'm just pissed at myself as I have neither the time nor $$$ to fix this right now..
1996 Tiger

Mustang

make doubly sure you hooked the correct wires to to the coils and that you have the firing order correct , if it wrong it aint even going to try to start or sputter . what happens if you give it a shot of starting fluid?

Jomama

Quote from: "Mustang"make doubly sure you hooked the correct wires to to the coils and that you have the firing order correct , if it wrong it aint even going to try to start or sputter . what happens if you give it a shot of starting fluid?

With the airbox being on, I haven't tried starting fluid.  Can you spray it in with the box on? (only time I've ever used starting fluid was on old carb'ed trucks and could access the carb)

Do you shoot it in way back on the uncapped side of the split-box?

I should take a picture.  I labeled the two wires off each coil.. And replaced the plugs one at a time and left the plug wires where they were so as to not mix up the order..  

If you are sitting on the bike looking at the top of the engine, from left to right is 1-3-2 correct?
1996 Tiger