News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How noisy is yours (at cold start up)

Started by shack, April 29, 2011, 01:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shack

Hi all, I'm looking at picking up a 94 T400 and have been sent a video of it starting from cold, and it does sound rather noisy, now I know I'm used to a smooth and queit V-Twin, but just wondered what folks were like (last chance to walk away before I shed some cash)
Thanks Shack

Mustang

yep noisy little buggers .............videos always make em sound worse .

they have a nice farm tractor kinda thing goin on .

jwray76

Quote from: "Mustang"yep noisy little buggers .............videos always make em sound worse .

they have a nice farm tractor kinda thing goin on .

I have no clue, but highly respect Mustangs opinion. Time to say goodbye to the cash  :D

abruzzi

I remember sitting in my doctors parking lot, with the bike idling.  When I shut off the bike, it didn't sound like it went off.  I looked up, and saw a FedEx delivery truck idling near me making the exact same sound. This was after I fixed the DAR.

Geof

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "abruzzi"... This was after I fixed the DAR....

:ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Like a bag of spanners falling down the stairs.
(Don't notice it when you are on the move though)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

shack

Thanks guys, I'll try and post a link to the XRV.org site where I have been able to post a sound clip, I dont mind a noisy engine as long as it's not one that is about to implode! there is a roughness and kinda rattle (don't think it's DAR) at tick over, it's there all the time (warm or cold) and goes around 1.5 to 2K revs. I can cope with annoying, but not expensive.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/50 ... art_up.avi

Thanks again all, I want/ need to make a decision this weekend. :roll:

Mustang

sound clips mean nothing they don't reliably translate what the beast actually sounds like ..........but yeah they are noisy like that .
sounds like a tigger to me .................

fishnbiker

My 95 has done the same thing since  I bought in in 1997. I found that some of it comes from the counterbalance shaft squish washer. It's cup shaped & over time it gradually flattens out making the shaft float left to right when cold. A quick replacement is an easy fix. The cover is on the left side & has easy access. You will need some Manual info to get it right, but it's not difficult. There are numerous other cold noises which settle down when properly warmed up.

The Steamers have been accused of "being very agricultural", so it's a noisy engine. Get used to it.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Colonel Nikolai

I took my Sprint out today even though the body is not on it. Both bikes have a busy / noisy sound along the front and top of the engine. The Tiger somehow sounds busier and noisier for some reason. Even with both running with stock pipes.

My Sprint always seems to run better than the Tiger when cold. With both warmed up the Sprint also can blow past the Tiger fairly solidly. It's no Daytona, mind you. When I had a set of Microns on it that triple was the best sounding bike I'd ever ridden, but a little loud. The microns also gave Sprinty a bigger punch from a stop light, only to give up some on the top end.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

R0B

could also be DAR...............the bike I bought sounded like there was a big bag of  marbles in it.

Rob

MtheTiger

Quoteand saw a FedEx delivery truck idling near me making the exact same sound

sounds familiar indeed !
 8)  :lol:  8)
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

shack

Well the very nice man came back with a healthy price reduction, just in case something did go wrong (altough beleive him to be 100% genuine) so all I have to do is arrange pick up (oh and pay) this site is giving me confidence in these ole girls, and I'm looking forward to getting out on her (I've been hankering after this one for a couple of years and never thought the chance to own would turn up). :D

aeronca

welcome aboard 8)  and it sounds good -  but it wwill sound better at 100 :twisted:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Colonel Nikolai

The 94 is a great model as they are more easily serviced if you have the sprag starter clutch issue. They have an access plate to repair the sprag starter clutch that later models don't have. Later models require splitting the engine case if the sprag goes.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.