News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Spoke wheel weights

Started by hooligan971, May 08, 2011, 10:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

I'll be replacing the original tires on my 99 this week and was hoping you guys might have an answer to my question. Does anyone know if the spoke wheel weights applied at the factory were to balance just the rim and additional weights should be added after tire installation if need be, or should I remove them and the stick on  weights and start over ?
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Mustang

remove them ..............
DYNABEADS

abruzzi

If you don't do dynabeads as Mustand suggested, still remove all the weights, and balance the whole unit (tire and wheel together) again.  Spoke weights are just wheel weights some shops use.  Others use stick on.

Geof

hooligan971

The Ducati shop near me where I bought the monster just told me that they are carrying and recommending the Dynabeads. Funny, because that is where I bought my tire balancer/truing stand last year. Oh well, I think I'll try the beads and see how they do. I'm going to mount my tires and ride for a day then add the beads to see the difference just out of curiosity. They recommend 1oz in front and 2oz rear for the Tiger but I wonder if I use the balancer to see what the proper stick on weight would be if I should only use that weight in beads. Right now I have .75 oz front and the same on the rear .
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

2004Tiger

I put in Dynabeads, the amount they reccommended. Works good. This is my first time, so I don't know if less or more is better.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.