News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Premature wear on Shinko 705 rear

Started by brad1098, May 10, 2011, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

1,800 miles in on my first set of Shinko 705's.  Love the grip/feel/ look/price, etc.  A bit wobbly at 90+  :?  Have notices quite a bit of wear on rear.  Its probably at half.  5/32 is what is still there in the center.

This 1,800 miles has been alot of mixed riding some super slab, some twisties, some city.  I ride medium-agressive, unless with some H-D friends  :lol: All miles solo, medium/low amount of gear.

Pressures are kept up, just as  I did with Tourances.  For comparison I got 8,500 mi and 9,500 mi. on my 2 sets of Tourances.

Front looks great!!  Any ideas?  If im replacing every 3,500-4,000 may be looking for somthing different
02 black-Lorna

cbxtc6

My buddy went through a set pretty quickly as well.  You get what you pay for?  There's a HUGE thread on ADV on the 705s;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443226

Mustang

Last set of 705's on my steamer went 15 k on front and prolly right about 10 on the rear ..........DYNABEADS !
when you say you kept the pressure up ,what pressure did you use ? cuz what's marked on the sidewall aint gonna cut it on a tigger !
Tigger's need at least 38 psi rear and 40 works mo better  :D YMMV

JTT

I just installed a set of these.  Mustang, what pressures do you run in the front?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Mustang

Quote from: "JTT"I just installed a set of these.  Mustang, what pressures do you run in the front?

****GASP******   dare I say 42 psi :shock:

brad1098

Dynabeads installed today.  First 7 miles. . . . not impressed, rather rough.  Going to burn up 100 miles of twisties tonight, hope it gets better.

Under close inspection it looked like more air might help. . . . I am at 42 also.

Edit. . . . the front looks perfect, almost zero wear!!
02 black-Lorna

Mustang

Quote from: "brad1098"Dynabeads installed today.  First 7 miles. . . . not impressed, rather rough.  Going to burn up 100 miles of twisties tonight, hope it gets better.

Under close inspection it looked like more air might help. . . . I am at 42 also.

Edit. . . . the front looks perfect, almost zero wear!!
Are they bias plys or radials ?
also some of the roughness you are feeling is because they have a more aggressive tread than tourances .................you want smooth you need michelin pilot roads , but they will wear out real quick for the money they cost
It's too late for the Dynabeads ...you are running on tires that have already started to wear and they are just going to continue to follow the tread wear that's already there .
You need to put the beads in brand new tires for result .   sorry . You won't see a benefit until you mount new rubber .

Sasquatch

I am on my 2nd set of Shinkos.  Fronts wear like iron, rears like butter.  I will not buy again.  Cheap tires are not so cheap if you replace them at 3500 miles.

36/42 psi
Dynabeads (been using them for years)
Active tire pressure monitoring system

JTT

Quote from: "Mustang"****GASP******   dare I say 42 psi :shock:

So 42 front, 40 rear?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Mustang

JTT , yep thats what I run  for air psi

JTT

2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

brad1098

yeah, ok well.

up to 70mph its ok, no better than lead weights.  Above 70 it steadily gets worse untill 85 where it rattles my teeth.

Nobody ever told me they couldn't be put into used tires.  Even the little b.s. brochure sent with product says nothing about new tires, or tubes for that matter.  Speaking of which,  what kind of fly by night informational sheet is this?

It does say if you have any problems to call, guess ill give them a ring tomorrow  :oops:

They are radials.

Its an experiment I was willing to take on the Shinkos. Now I know. The ADV topic is so huge and varying you really can't make heads or tails of it specific to a Tiger.  The Shinkos seem to favor a lighter bike with less power.  Damn Tiger, to much power  :lol:
02 black-Lorna

jwray76

With my heavy throttle and size I am wearing through the rears pretty quickly as well.

Sasquatch

I think I am going to go with a Michelin Anakee next.  I have tried Tourances and never was impressed.  Always had cracking between the tread blocks and would get micro air leaks long before the tread wore out.  

Love the Continental Trail Attacks on the road.  Long lasting, great handling, but less than descent on gravel (understandably, with the tread pattern).

So, going to try the Anakee.

Mustang

The Anakees are Michelins replacement for the old T-66's that Tiggers used to come with , never tried em personally cuz I hated the T-66's .
But a lot of people swear by em .