News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

European breakdown cover

Started by NKL, May 14, 2011, 07:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKL

What have you guys used when going to Europe, are there any companies to avoid?
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"What have you guys used when going to Europe, are there any companies to avoid?

I get European cover with me insurance so no idea.
2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Same here, but they seemed OK when I used them in Germany last year, evn had a follow up call a day later to see if there were any more problems.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud

I use RAC for my cover, it's one of those things you dont know how good they are until you need them, but you never want to use them so good luck cheers Spud  :wink:

iansoady

Like other, mine comes with the insurance (Footman James - very good deal) but I used these people for a number of years with my car and on the one occasion I needed them they were fine. £59 per year was cheap enough.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Most of the breakdown cover is much of a muchness,we have an annual RAC,but what most folks slip up on is medical insurance,don't get carried away with the E111 and all that stuff,it's about getting you home when your leg is in 6 pieces.

chairhead

Quote from: "NKL"What have you guys used when going to Europe, are there any companies to avoid?

Like the majority here mine too is in with my insurance,
carol nash have been very good for me,it must of cost them a shed load to sort me out in January,but sort it they did,yes i had a few niggles with them but in the grand scheme of things they were good,
everytime i go abroad i do have to tell them where,for how long and which countries im visting,why?,for the green card im told.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Quote from: "chairhead"

Like the majority here mine too is in with my insurance,
carol nash have been very good for me,it must of cost them a shed load to sort me out in January,but sort it they did,yes i had a few niggles with them but in the grand scheme of things they were good,
everytime i go abroad i do have to tell them where,for how long and which countries im visting,why?,for the green card im told.

I'm with CN and I never tell e'm anything,cuz they've never asked,green card  :roll: blimey you are showing your age!!!

iansoady

You don't need Green Card for EU countries any more as all UK insurance has to include 3rd party cover for all EU countries.

But be careful as 3rd party is all some insurers give you even if you have full comp for the UK (unless you hand them a substantial wodge of cash).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

dickenbacker

AA - I do a number of trips every year and a yearly policy works out significantly cheaper and also covers me for the car.

The green card was something your insurance company gave you that meant you had the same cover in Europe as you did in the UK (i.e  comp or 3rd party)

As was said in the previous post, all insurance should now cover you at least 3rd party in the EU but check with your insurance company before you go to make sure you have the cover you need. Some companies charge a premium to extend your cover into Europe.

It's also worth noting that some countries in Europe aren't actually in the EU (like Switzerland and Andorra) so check what countries your insurance covers.

NKL

Thanks for the replies chaps, as it happens I've got to renew my insurance before I go so I will look at getting one with EU breakdown included.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100