News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Question a Mustang's Billeted Aircraft Aluminum Steamer Pegs

Started by Colonel Nikolai, May 22, 2011, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I've been riding with them for a few hundred miles now and I really like them. I'm 6' tall and they have put an end on the hip pain I get on longer rides.

However I notice that since they are lower than stock pegs, I find myself nailing the rear brake harder than I should. Is there a trick to making the rear brake pedal lower?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

JetdocX

There is a bit of adjustment but not much.  I've adjusted mine as low as I dare and it's still too high.
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

So it's something I just need to train myself to not stomp on the rear brake as much.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

what's a rear brake ???? :shock:  :?:  :ImaPoser

CoolHandLuke

When not braking from high speed, the rear brake should be used for low speed manoeuvring.  Essential for filtering at low speed and for not having the front wheel fall away from you on slippy surfaces.

Rocinante

Quote from: "JetdocX"There is a bit of adjustment but not much.  I've adjusted mine as low as I dare and it's still too high.

Same here. I have to lift my right leg off the peg to brake. I´m thinking of replacing the "pad" with a foldable pad mounted on a vertical arm which is welded to the original, lowering it a centimeter or three. It shouldn´t be too low though, since you risk it catching and breaking.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"I´m thinking of replacing the "pad" with a foldable pad mounted on a vertical arm which is welded to the original, lowering it a centimeter or three. It shouldn´t be too low though, since you risk it catching and breaking.
something like this one maybe ???????

I made this one for my honda 450 but the same idea would be great on a tigger !

Rocinante

Hmm, are you taking orders, Mustang?

Alternatively, maybe just buy this and get someone who can weld to fit it to the existing arm:
http://shop.touratech.se/SE/Catalog/bmw ... 035-0.html
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

John Stenhouse

On my 885 Girly, when I changed to Mustangs pegs, the brake lever was perfect. That maybe because on standard pegs it felt like it had far too much travel
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"what's a rear brake ???? :shock:  :?:  :ImaPoser

I know, I know..it is a joke about folks who never use the front brake... but I use the rear brake a lot.  It is tough making a U-turn with the 885 without dragging the rear brake.  (I am always shocked by how few riders with hundreds of thousand of miles experience can do a U-turn.)  And I use it a lot in wet weather on pavement to lessen the chance of having the front end wash out.   I use it lightly together with the front brake until I feel the weight of the mc shift forward and then I slowly let off the back.  Also going downhill on unpaved wet surfaces, I use the rear almost exclusively.   I find myself using the rear a lot in late fall, winter and early spring.  I need to retrain myself every year for summer riding.  I know...it's  a joke but...

++++++
JonC

JetdocX

I use the rear brake.  It works, just be careful.  Especially useful during low speed manuvering.  And all of you who never use your rear brake are not getting maximum braking, BTW.  Hope you never need it. :shock:
From parts unknown.

rybes

i always use the rear brake.more control in corners. only ever use me front for fast stops and the last few feet when stoppin. that pedal you mades nice mustang  8)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

I've always felt the steamer rear brake was a lot like throwing out the anchor on your boat in 20 feet of water when you only have 10 feet of rope ............. :ImaPoser

rybes

aint that the front brakes as well :lol: is there a better caliper than can fit em ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

beringer used to have a kit for steamers ,  :cry: