News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph Loyality

Started by Chris Canning, June 01, 2011, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Take the VFR1200 for instance,  everyone wanted an updated Blackbird.  We got something with a peanut tank and seat like a plank.

And it looks appalling, all these new "insect" look bikes look rubbish to me, that's why I'm sticking with my Girly, which gets serviced, when there's something I don't want to do, at a Yamaha dealer  :?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"... when there's something I don't want to do, at a Yamaha dealer  :?

Couldn't make it up could you? :lol:

I used to get the 'Bird serviced at the BMW dealer where I bought it (don't go there), the techs used to like getting their hands on something different.  Then I discovered BSD at Peterborough who do most of the bike mags work.  Marc had a 'Bird of his own and was really good with mine.  Then when I got more time on my hands I started doing everything myself.  Since my debacle with dealer  re-mapping the Tiger's never been to anyone else.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

brad1098

In the midst of a huge economic recession Triumph is doing it here as well.  RPM Motorworks was top in the region 4 times and top in the nation twice in R & R.  Some formula Triumph has for their parts, service and customer apreciation numbers.

It was a perfect little 70's style dealership with Triumph only.  The owner wore many hats, as it should be.  Triumph in their infinite wisdom said.  Build a new million dollar plus glitsy building in a high profile area or we are taking the dealership. H-D style

So under pressure from Triumph my "local" dealership is now in downtown St. Louis, which I despise.  In a glitsy conglomerate dealership with KTM "dirt only" and Ducati, which they push and promote.

The Japanese lines have not gone there yet!
02 black-Lorna

Nick Calne

In all truth has anyone ever had a dealer they really, really trust?  For the car I use the local garage as I'm friends with a few of the guys there.  They do no better or cheaper job than anyone else, but at least they try hard for me.  When they occasionally get something wrong, they fix it and we move on.  With the bike you can't afford any kind of mistake and yet the standard of dealers and the mechanics therein is probably worse than for cars.  

So maybe Chris is right to be p1ssed off as you can't build a rapport with an ever changing dealer.  Stability - rerhaps that's something Triumph ought to consider and encourage.  Maybe it's what they want, but the dealers themselves just can't keep it together in tough, ever changing times.  Who knows...?

On the other note in this thread I would say I hope triumph stick with simple bikes that are easy to fix.  Jeesh it's a comparatively expensive hobby without pointless electro-gismo's going wrong and costing a fortune all over the place.  Don't need satnav, fuel computer, gear indicator, traction control, anti wheelie launch control or any of that stuff.  Not interested in power commanders, chips, power control switches blah blah.  Don't want a datatool alarm either.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Timbox2

I had my Tiggers valve clearances done at a Honda dealer, only because the spanner man there is ex Triumph and came recommended, more importantly he was Triumph all through the Nineties and up to 2007 so knows Tiggers well.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Buy him beer!

Often!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "nickcalne"In all truth has anyone ever had a dealer they really, really trust?  For the car I use the local garage as I'm friends with a few of the guys there.  They do no better or cheaper job than anyone else, but at least they try hard for me.  When they occasionally get something wrong, they fix it and we move on.  With the bike you can't afford any kind of mistake and yet the standard of dealers and the mechanics therein is probably worse than for cars.  

So maybe Chris is right to be p1ssed off as you can't build a rapport with an ever changing dealer.  Stability - rerhaps that's something Triumph ought to consider and encourage.  Maybe it's what they want, but the dealers themselves just can't keep it together in tough, ever changing times.  Who knows...?

On the other note in this thread I would say I hope triumph stick with simple bikes that are easy to fix.  Jeesh it's a comparatively expensive hobby without pointless electro-gismo's going wrong and costing a fortune all over the place.  Don't need satnav, fuel computer, gear indicator, traction control, anti wheelie launch control or any of that stuff.  Not interested in power commanders, chips, power control switches blah blah.  Don't want a datatool alarm either.

It's the rapport thing,the net makes it too smaller world to go into detail,but my days of paying retail are long gone,getting a bike MOT'd  :wink: ,chains/sprockets/tyres it's a two way thing with my suppliers,but I now find I'm out on limb with the Tiger,wheels brakes suspension and just about anything else I do,but I don't set the motor up,I've only got one as opposed to a.n.other who deals with loads,but I have to say going to what is now my local dealer Pure Triumph in good old sunny Birmingham and being treated as a faceless punter,does not sit well with me at all.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"... being treated as a faceless punter,does not sit well with me at all.

I know exactly what you mean, had it happen at the BMW place when I had my 650GS and the service manager changed.  Luckily the owner intervened or I'd not have gone back.

Also happened recently at my Nissan dealer.  The lady that had seen us spend over 50k with them down the years left and suddenly we were just "a faceless punter" as you put it.  It takes years of cultivation to get a good relationship going but it can be lost in a moment - either way....

CoolHandLuke

Actually, Windy Corner dumped Triumph because Triumph wouldn't allow them to sell any other marque of motorcycle.

It's not about Triumph dumping WC, but the other way around.

I strongly suspect, that WC were looking to sell Victory cycles as well as Triumph's and have decided to put their eggs in the Victory basket.

I am with Triumph on this one.  Having said that, there is nothing wrong with selling any brand of second hand motorcycle.  Hughendon M40 always seem to have more second hand - none Triumph - motorcycles out front than they have Triumph's in the showroom.

NKL

I don't want to go to a car dealer to buy my motorcyle stuff
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

kelpie_67

the guy that works on my bike for me isn't even licensed but he does however build aircraft engines and I know that whatever I ask him to do will be done correctly and with attention to detail.
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Actually, Windy Corner dumped Triumph because Triumph wouldn't allow them to sell any other marque of motorcycle.

I strongly suspect, that WC were looking to sell Victory cycles as well as Triumph's and have decided to put their eggs in the Victory basket.

I am with Triumph on this one.  Having said that, there is nothing wrong with selling any brand of second hand motorcycle.  Hughendon M40 always seem to have more second hand - none Triumph - motorcycles out front than they have Triumph's in the showroom.

That is factually incorrect.

Victory turned up after Triumph had sent the letter chopping them off.

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Actually, Windy Corner dumped Triumph because Triumph wouldn't allow them to sell any other marque of motorcycle.

That is factually incorrect.

Victory turned up after Triumph had sent the letter chopping them off.

You are right about Victory, my source was bad, sorry.

Here is an alternative view from Roger:

QuoteDear Windy Corner Customer

You will have witnessed Triumph Motorcycle sales growing at an astonishing rate, globally, in the recent years.

This has placed massive demands on its dealerships. Large High Street showrooms and work shops are now required to cater for the ever expanding Triumph model range. Increased workshop and sales staff are required to handle the expected extra flow of customers and sales.

We have been an agent for Triumph Motorcycles for 19 years and have enjoyed being part of their impressive growth, with 2009 being the most successful year for Windy Corner Triumph in Sales, Service Parts and Accessories.

Here at Windy Corner, Barwell we no longer meet the requirements of Triumph Motorcycles Ltd so have to 'Hand over the Baton' mid 2010 to an incoming large Motor Car Group, Stratstone.

Please do not think this is 'The End' for Windy Corner. Triumph Motorcycle sales and servicing together with parts, clothing and accessory sales will continue at our Barwell site as Windy Corner, World of Two Wheels albeit without factory blessing.

We intend to take our 'Award Winning' customer service and attention to detail (something you have become used to) into the fabulous Victory Motorcycles plus quality, low mileage, pre-owned machines of all marques, including Triumph of course.

We would like to extend our 'thanks' to all our customers for their support over the years and look forward to your continued support in the new chapter beginning mid 2010, Windy Corner, World of Two Wheels.

We would also like to extend our 'Thanks' to the hundreds of Triumph owners who have joined in our R.A.T events over the years. Our events will continue and will be open to all makes, as The Windy Corner Rider's Club.

Please feel free to contact me via email should you have any comments.

Ride safely

Roger

Windy Corner, World of Two Wheels
01455 842922
mailto:roger@windycorner.co.uk">roger@windycorner.co.uk

jphish

Wonder what Roger meant when he said "we no longer meet the requirements of triumph" ?? It sounds very much like my little 'Triumph only' shop in Lakewood Wa. Not a fancy store, old building, only 5 employees (including Lon, the tech) Excellent service & really good to customers. I'm now concerned about their survival. It's the people there, but also partly selfish, as I dont want to ride 60 miles to Seattle to get service on my new 800, while under warranty. But also would change my satisfaction level as a cutomer if they 'take out' a small shop that is competent & fun to go to. Hope Triumph factors in the customers experience into their business equation. We're why they're successful.

NKL

Quote from: "jphish"Hope Triumph factors in the customers experience into their business equation. We're why they're successful.

Don't be silly!!!
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100