News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

21' front wheel

Started by tomski, June 06, 2011, 10:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomski

Hey All,
am a newbie with a recent purchase of a 'steamer' which i'm very pleased with but would like to change the front wheel to a 21...is that possible? did have a search through but could not find any info...

Mustang

quick search turned up a lot of hits .................. :shock:
here's one
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... inch+wheel

CoolHandLuke

I just bought a 21" Tiger wheel ready made off eBay.  Should be on its way from Germany some time this week.

I just hope it looks as good in the flesh as it did in the photos.

tomski

Quote from: "Mustang"quick search turned up a lot of hits .................. :shock:
here's one
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... inch+wheel

thanks mate, maybe i was saying wrong in the search engine...will try again...

Coolhandluke, was it a one off or do they have any more? Have you any links?
Cheers :)

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "tomski"Coolhandluke, was it a one off or do they have any more? Have you any links?
Cheers :)

Unfortunately, it was a one off.  It cost about £240 (with postage) for the wheel + new Karoo tyre and hopefully the discs.

I intend to make a stripped down version of an old 885 and use it on that.  Something I don't mind dropping frequently :)

tomski

Looks great...well I got a steamer in quite a good condition but the previous owner reconfigured for road use (so its got a 180 rear  :shock: )...i do some light (ish) offroading so want to mod her to continue as I like the bike (just came from a dr big)...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "tomski"Looks great...well I got a steamer in quite a good condition but the previous owner reconfigured for road use (so its got a 180 rear  :shock: )...i do some light (ish) offroading so want to mod her to continue as I like the bike (just came from a dr big)...

Don't forget to post your progress :)

tomski

no worries will defo do...do you have to mod the bike to fit the wheel etc?

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "tomski"no worries will defo do...do you have to mod the bike to fit the wheel etc?
The standard mudguard needs to be removed.  I don't envisage any other issues.  I am not really in a position to speak authoritatively at the moment :)

Mustang

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "tomski"no worries will defo do...do you have to mod the bike to fit the wheel etc?
The standard mudguard needs to be removed.  I don't envisage any other issues.  I am not really in a position to speak authoritatively at the moment :)
just needs a high front fender like a dirt bike ................everything else stays the same.

Rocinante

Good luck finding a used 21. Relacing is more expensive than that used wheel, AND it doesn´t give you a spare. But it´s doable for the amateur who´s less lucky in his search.

There are more things you can do, like replace the stock exhaust with a three in one, a weight saving of about 9-10 kg, and then many other small alterations (in rider geometry, more weight saving etc). But the front wheel is a good start which you don´t have to go beyond.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Rocinante"There are more things you can do, like replace the stock exhaust with a three in one, a weight saving of about 9-10 kg, and then many other small alterations (in rider geometry, more weight saving etc). But the front wheel is a good start which you don´t have to go beyond.

I really like what you did to yours and will certainly use that for inspiration.  A 3 into 1 is on my shopping list.  Can you explain how you trimmed the rear end on yours and how you went about fitting the seat?

Rocinante

What I did was, in short:

I got hold of a used (actually new and parted) rear frame and front fender from a KTM LC4 2003 SM.

The original rear frame I cut off behind the junction(with the forward pointing legs), leaving it equally strong where the rider is positioned.

The KTM frame legs were cut off about 8 cm below the upper part of the frame and put on top of the old frame. The two forward arms are joined up front and fit on top of the old bridge, below the rear end of the tank, so that the tank´s rear bolts go through the new bridge as well.

The KTM frame is (thoroughly) clamped on the Tiger frame in two places in the back.

That´s it, in short.

I´ll help you along as much as I can if you go ahead with this.

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

CoolHandLuke

Ta.  I am quite a way off as I have yet to acquire a project bike for the cause :)

I am currently reading your travel website at the moment and have reached chapter 3 (Maine to Midland, Michigan).

tomski

Thanks for the updates :) Rocinante I will want to do a similar thing to yours ie shred as much weight as possible as my mate and I are planning a trip back home to australia around october this year...i was going to do it on my dr before the accident but now got hold of this tiger in very good condition overall etc and want to change her into a more realistic dual sport for the extended travel intended....

So would appreciate any help/pointers you can provide to achieve this either via forum or if you email me on mailto:tomdmx@ymail.com">tomdmx@ymail.com many thanks in advance !