News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

will it last one winter?!

Started by sunny, November 25, 2004, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

I've only used my 05 for about 5 times since they started gritting the roads and already the bike has started to corrode badly! I rinse it down after each trip as well and use the scotoil fs 365.  My last bike was a cbr 600 and lasted  2 winters in France with little corrosion.  :cry:

robbo

Must be really bad salt where you live, Ive never stopped riding my bike and its fine. I hose it down after any big runs but apart from that nothing special.

Where exactly is it starting to corrode.?
best Regards

Robbo

sunny

Everywhere from the pegs down. The worst is the engine, fasteners and oil pipes.

The silencer doesn't even like just rain either and keeps getting brown staining in places that can be sanded off but keep coming back after a few days. I've started to clean/wire brush/sand everthing down and in the future will apply even more TLC!

robbo

DonÌt understand it Dude, I only wash my bike about once a month. I only started hosing it down when they started salting the roads.

The only place it looks a bit scruffy is the little shiny or rather X shiny bits where the break pips meet the calliper.

IÌve done over 9000 miles on my 04 which was new just before April this year so it gets used.

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo

BP_LONDON

I think you should worry less about keeping  the thing in showroom condition and ride it like you stole it. Get the bastard thing down and dirty. I still haven't washed mine since I gotback from a 500 mile run in Wales on the 7th november!!!

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

robbo

Some people just have a lo standard of hygiene.

:P  8)
best Regards

Robbo

BP_LONDON

:oops:  O:)  :mrgreen:

barjan

Call me dirty harry then.

I just rinse it with WD40, making a nice blue fog at first startup and then ride it. I don't usually clean it all winter, because I don't like cleaning, polishing and so on especially with cold outside temperatures. When it's below zero, I could wash it and break my neck next morning trying to go over the sheet ice I created. I just put some more WD40 on.

Seems to work because I don't see much corrosion OR I am easily satisfied offcourse.  :roll:

pauljones1227

When cleaning, water has never touched my 05 Tiger yet, I use Autoglym Degreaser and a rag on the dirty bits, wheels etc and some polish on the painted bits.

Brock

Glad to see there's a few more folks who don't mind riding a dirty bike. I doubt whether I'll see any clean metal or paint on mine 'til next spring. It will be squirted regularly with Motorex spray though.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Quote from: "sunny"The silencer doesn't even like just rain either and keeps getting brown staining in places

This browning is quite normal far a stainless system. It doesn't need cleaning off. It's the stainless version of chrome blueing when it gets hot.

sunny

I know what you mean Blacktiger but the 'browning' is a lot more pronounced than that. What your describing is whats its been like since day 1 but this is more like solid brown spots that have suddenly appeared and ive not seen on any other stainless exhaust systems before. I'm hoping its wd-40 or something thats been burnt on.

Mr Mistoffelees

Hi sunny,

I see this is an 05 Tiger, so if the corrosion is unacceptable, push for a warranty claim with your delear. Triumph do state in the hand book that the warrenty does support corrosion issues as long as care has been taken to maintain the bike i.e. wash it.

Any chance of some pictures so we can see how bad it is ?.
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Quote from: "sunny"I know what you mean Blacktiger but the 'browning' is a lot more pronounced than that. What your describing is whats its been like since day 1 but this is more like solid brown spots that have suddenly appeared and ive not seen on any other stainless exhaust systems before. I'm hoping its wd-40 or something thats been burnt on.

OK maybe you've got so much crud on there that it has baked on. A hammer & chisel would be the correct solution.