News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A Pearl Among Swine

Started by Colonel Nikolai, June 19, 2011, 03:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Sorry, couldn't resist taking this picture at the HD dealer (getting parts for the Buell rebuild)

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

tazshido

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

You should see the looks I get when I ride my Tiger onto the parking lot of our local H-D/Honda/Can-Am stealership. I'ts a strange mix of loathing and envy. I especially peeve them if I mention that Triumph is the ONLY motorcycle company that has continuously produced bikes, that pre-dates H-D. They want to "turn again and rend me"!  :violent1
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "tazshido"I especially peeve them if I mention that Triumph is the ONLY motorcycle company that has continuously produced bikes, that pre-dates H-D.

Didn't know that! I just thought it was ironic that it was a white street triple (pearl) among all those HD hogs (swine)  :lol:
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

even though there was still a licensed company you could'nt really buy a triumph in the late eighties as Bloor hadn't started selling them yet and Les Harris was no longer making the bonnies .
There were a few years where there just wasn't any triumphs produced for john q public .

But yeah basically Triumph has been around longer than hardley ableson..... :D

cosmo

Triumph started building bicycles in 1885.
Minerva-engined motorcycles in 1902. 500 were sold.
Triumph made their own engine in 1903.
The rest goes from superlative to superlative. And the odd Tina.

H-D.
Built two prototype motorcycles in 1903. Many problems ensued with the first, including frame breakage. Time for another, better prototype.
Three sold in 1904.
Five in 1905.
49 in '06.
152 in '07.

Harley's first twin was built and sold during 1909.

Harley's sales may not yet have approached Triumph levels.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tazshido

Even though Triumph was in receivership for several years, one of thier parts suppliers was licensed to build bikes under the Triumph name. There has never been a year Since 1907 that Triumph has not sold at least 50 motorcycles.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Mustang

Quote from: "tazshido"There has never been a year Since 1907 that Triumph has not sold at least 50 motorcycles.

not quite true

QuoteBloor licenses Les Harris, of Racing Spares, in Newton Abbott, Devon, to continue to produce the Bonnie in small numbers for five years, 1983-1988. Due to problems with liability insurance, the Harris Bonnevilles were never imported into the USA. About 14 were built a week in peak production.

QuoteThe last Harris Bonneville is produced and Harris decides not to renew his manufacturing licence.

no motorcycles produced for sale
QuoteProduction tools arrive for John Bloor's new company. Estimates of the company's capitalization range from 40-80 million pounds ($60-$120 million USD), all of it from Bloor himself, without bank financing. Bloor starts to set up his dealer network this year.

QuoteTriumph lives again. At the Cologne Motor Cycle Show, six new Triumph models are shown, powered by three- and four-cylinder DOHC engines with high horsepower and torque, all liquid-cooled: Trident 750 and 900; Trophy 900 and 1200; Daytona 750 and 1000. 2,390 machines are sold this year, 974 into the UK.

source
http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

like I said no motorcycles were produced for sale in the late eighties

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Mustang"even though there was still a licensed company you could'nt really buy a triumph in the late eighties as Bloor hadn't started selling them yet and Les Harris was no longer making the bonnies .
There were a few years where there just wasn't any triumphs produced for john q public .

But yeah basically Triumph has been around longer than hardley ableson..... :D
Given that Harley V-Twins (their bread and butter) were not properly introduced until 1911, I think it we can call it evens :)

Their first V-Twin in 1909 (copying Indian Motorcycles who invented the V-Twin in 1906) had a lot of issues, hence the delay to 1911.

The 45 degree angle of the engine was born from the necessity of fitting two pistons into the 'V' of a bicycle frame.  Unfortunately, a 45 degree crank has inherent vibrations that can never be balanced out - hence, the goddam awful vibration you get from any Harley.