News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

radiator fan axial play?

Started by 514Advrider, June 20, 2011, 01:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

514Advrider

I've had an annoying rattle in the front end when going over bumpy pavement, and I've been trying to identify where it came from. The steering bearings have been re-tightened, both rotors are tight, and I can hear the rattle when applying the brakes, so it's not a loose caliper neither. I've noticed that I can hear the rad fan rattling when tapping the radiator. There is clearly some axial play on the fan shaft. Has anyone noticed it before? How much play if any is there supposed to be there? Thanks for your input.

iansoady

ISTR a lot about this on the earlier cast wheel 955is on this and other forums.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

514Advrider

I've seen the threads on this, but as you said, the fork knocking seems to affect early cast steel wheel models. My tiger is a 2003, with spoke wheels.

Danny955i

Mine has a few bumps, vibes, and giggles here and there in the front, and I've diagnosed everything you've mentioned.

Seems the fan can have in-and-out play, but not up-and-down or side-to-side... just how it is... they all "thunk" when you tap the radiator.

I tightened my bearings, checked everything knot-to-tip on the forks and there's nothing loose chassis wise. I think a lot of the vibes may be behind the fairing with some of the support frame mounts holding all the gauges.

I'd also check your horn mount, and even go as far as to give your radiator and oil cooler a good wiggle by-hand, to see if your bushings have gone bad.

There's no sure-fire fix but to tinker unfortunately, but it sounds like you're in the same boat as I am. ALSO, how many keys do you have on your keychain? Sometimes little jingles like that can amplify from behind the windscreen. Try rubber-banding them together and go for a ride.