News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Build Date

Started by blong, November 30, 2004, 03:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blong

Question for the group: I just brought home an 05 Tiger on Nov 19 and was surprised to find the build date was April! And this was after I had waited 6 weeks for an orange one because none were available. But they managed to "find" this one somewhere. I saw it in the crate after delivery to the dealer so it's not a demo or anything. Do you guys think this is normal? Does Triumph just build a bunch of one type bike at a time then all of production is switched over to another bike? Has anyone else noticed or even cared? I love the bike so far!
BobL

05 Tiger

98 Trophy

92 Harley FXRS

abell

It does work that way, and yes it's normal. For example, they may crank out a substantial inventory of Tigers etc, then turn the factory's lines over to 2005 Speed Triple and Sprint production. I read a post on another forum recently indicating that they have warehouses full of Daytona 650s in hand. This would presumably be the entire model year's worth of supply. It is just a technique for maximizing capacity.

The 2005s have been around for a few months. No reason to worry or care though. Enjoy!
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

ChrisN

From what I've seen of the Triumph factory they have just one assembly line that can be adapted to suit any model in the range being built at the same time as others. ie. they aren't tied to a production run of just one model. Last open day the factory was dominated by the new Rocket production, but the assembly line also included the odd Tiger every now and then.

By the way, after a short wait I just took delivery of my new 05 Tiger on 15th Nov and it has a build date of 20th October. Prior to this bike my 04 Tiger was delivered in March 04 with a build date of July 03. I think alot depends on how the bike is sourced within the dealer network.

Export to the US obviously adds to the delivery period. Production to the export spec may also slow things down. Maybe others can offer more info here?
Chris

abell

>Production to the export spec may also slow things down

Surely it cannot take that long to remove the heated grips and center stand!

: )
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Brock

I agree with ChrisN...when I visited the factory this year the production line had all models being built together. I certainly don't think they build anything in "batches", in fact we were told they build the bikes to satisfy demand. Must be a nightmare for the lads on the line...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Quote from: "Brock"in fact we were told they build the bikes to satisfy demand. Must be a nightmare for the lads on the line...

I don't think it's a nightmare for the guys on the shop floor. It gives them a bit of variety.

It is, however, a nightmare for the owners when they find a tiger engine in a Daytona. (Just kidding!) I did find one thing incorrectly assembled on mine. The wiring to the soleniod was pressing against the battery tray. Just needed turning round a bit. Mine was built just after the fire though. May have been teething problems.