News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Handlebar setup / questions

Started by lobster, June 22, 2011, 02:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lobster

I searched pretty well and read a bunch of threads and hope this information isn't considered already discussed.  I have a couple pictures of my current handlebar / guard setup and would like some advice.  If you please...

Here is the current setup...

This entire setup came with the bike when I bought it.

Today while I was riding I felt some serious buzziness to the bars.  I attribute that to two things 1) aluminum bars and 2) no bar end weights.

So I think I would like to DOWNgrade to steel bars thinking that the heavier bars will help dampen vibration.  If I buy 1 1/8" steel bars to fit the clamp I have, will the bars taper down to 7/8" at the end so I can use std bar end weights? (most handlebars do this to fit std grips and such, right?)  Will I have to cobble something together to make the bar end weights work with the current hand guards?

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to purge the current handguards as they were really kind of cobbled together in the first place.

I'm open to ideas.  What say you?  Thanks.

Mustang

Steel bars will make the buzzy's go away compared to aluminum bars .
for bar end weights you can get inserts to add to the steel bars
something like these will go right in any handlebars with 7/8 ends
http://hvmp.com/universal.htm
most if not all fat bars have 7/8ths ends like you say for the twist grip and other side grip . steel ones that are 1 1/8 may be harder to find and you may have to go to 7/8th bars and clamps

and yes you will have to cobble if you want bar ends with those handgaurds ...............why not just go back to OEM Triumph stuff problem solved

paulie

Sorry to hijack...
Woa good find Mustang. Do you have a pair of those?
Any idea if the length is the same as the OEM bar ends? I'd want to be able to keep my BMW guards :D

lobster, is your chain tension OK? I've noticed that I get a noticeable amount of buzz in the bars if my chain isn't tensioned properly. Thought it only seems to appear at high speed.. It's weird, I know.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650