News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new front brakes on my Steamer are squeeling at low speed

Started by Bob Tosi, June 26, 2011, 07:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

My new front brakes are making noise as I come to a stop. Should I use some brake lube or is there a problem here?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Mustang

what brand did you use for pads ?

my 95 and 98 both squealed like little piggies with the oem pads they came with new .

I use EBC's  HH sintered and there is no squeal

Bob Tosi

got the pads from Spiegler.  they work great just a little noisy when I stop.

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"got the pads from Spiegler.  they work great just a little noisy when I stop.
they may come into it and quit squealing , or they may not .
the truck brake squeal kinda goes with the diesel engine sounds of a steamer ............. :ImaPoser

next time use EBC HH Sintered ..no sqeaul

ArcticTiger

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Bob Tosi"got the pads from Spiegler.  they work great just a little noisy when I stop.
they may come into it and quit squealing , or they may not .
the truck brake squeal kinda goes with the diesel engine sounds of a steamer ............. :ImaPoser

next time use EBC HH Sintered ..no sqeaul

..... and no more diesel engine sound too? :icon_scratch
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

CoolHandLuke

Did you put a very fine coating of copper grease on the back of the pads?

Coating the backs of the pads with copper grease is common practice and serves to reduce brake squeal.

CoolHandLuke

Aye, it's not the choice of pads, it's the lack of copper grease.

Personally, I wouldn't use sintered pads on OEM discs due to the increased wear of the discs (they are fscking expensive).  If you get a set of good quality after market (not migzumi or whatever they are called) then use sintered.

Mustang

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Aye, it's not the choice of pads, it's the lack of copper grease.

Personally, I wouldn't use sintered pads on OEM discs due to the increased wear of the discs (they are fscking expensive).  If you get a set of good quality after market (not migzumi or whatever they are called) then use sintered.
and personally I myself wouldn't use anything but sintered, I like to stop :D and BTW........ three steamers with combined mileage of 165,000 miles and all three still use original discs , which only one bike shows very minimal wear to the front rotors and it's hauling a sidecar to a stop very nicely .

MtheTiger

I have fitted organic pads now because of the disc wear caused by sintered ones and I have no complaints 'bout the stopping power whatsoever, nor do they fade easily......just saying...
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "MtheTiger"I have fitted organic pads now because of the disc wear caused by sintered ones and I have no complaints 'bout the stopping power whatsoever, nor do they fade easily......just saying...
+1

Bob Tosi

These pads are the shit! I can almost raise the backend when I grab a handful hard.  Its the noise that buggs me.

QuoteDid you put a very fine coating of copper grease on the back of the pads?

Coating the backs of the pads with copper grease is common practice and serves to reduce brake squeal.

I can put some of this on and try that.