News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head gasket gone?

Started by tomski, July 02, 2011, 05:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomski

So I purchased a steamer with relatively low mileage (17k) for decent money (its a 1998 but first reg 2003)...apparently there was an issue with as it was blowing smoke and the previous owner this may (just before my purchase) replaceed piston rings, gaskets, air filter and a bunch of seals at a cost of £800....got the receipt and the garage details etc so all genuine and above board...

I rode the bike to germany and back and a few local trips, must say that i have been riding it rather agressive but not foolish and now seemst hat the head gasket started to leak (brown leak stains from 4 or 5 places) and just yesterday it went to just under red on the temp gauge and pissed water out from the overflow...so I'm guessing its the head gasket but wonder why...could it be that the previous mechanic didnt plane the head or similar? It was fine for about a month or so and now this rather expensive exercise again....

I was planning to use this bike for my trip to australia and now i'm worried that it could have a shot engine or something, or is that not such a big deal?

rybes

sounds like a head gasket but it could also be a stuck thermostat. can ya get a compression check done on it before ya strip it down. head gasket on thems an easy enuff job. 4-5 hours should see it finished.  good way to spend an afternoon if ya ask me.  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

tomski

well i can see leak stains (brownish in colour) from a few spots around the head/engine casing leaking, so that's defo not been there before....i'll check the thermostat also just n case but guessing if its leaking then the gasket must go...

does anyone know where i can get the head planed?

JetdocX

Any good machine shop can mill that head flat again as long as it's not too warped.  The machinist will know.
From parts unknown.

tomski

when doing this should i change any other gaskets etc?

CoolHandLuke

Change the thermostat, check the fan works and, for good measure, check the waterpump is fine.

Get a head gasket, a cam cover gasket and a water pump gasket.

You will more than likely get away with re-using the cam cover gasket, but it's nice having one lay around just in case.

rybes

ive just changed the head gasket in the past but you could do with gettin the engine cover gasket for the timin chain cover.  you also want to be careful you dont disturb the liners in the block as you could get water goin into the oil. as their independant from the block. ive changed 2 head gaskets and only had to reseal the liners once. thats a real easy job. just do one at a time and youll be fine. somewhere on this forum is a link to a triumph tiger workshop manual, the real thing not haynes. turn it into your gideons and youll be fine ;)

D-Fuzz

I thought I read something about the chance of the cylinder liners moving when taking the head off.  Seeing that the engine has already been apart, is there a chance that has happened and the mechanic didn't notice?  I guess the obvious is to check the simplest things first.  Hopefully it is something simple.  Good luck!
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

rybes

check your oil for water. thatll be a sure sign the liner seal has broke. its only hylomar so its a cheap fix if it has gone

tomski

Thanks all, checked the oil, no water (thats obvious anyway)..as said there are obvious leaks or stains of water drip from a few areas along the gasket..and the fan works too...not sure how to check the pump though...

JetdocX

Plan on resealing the cylinders.  I got to do a head gasket twice due to that mistake. :roll:
From parts unknown.

tomski

Righto, have found instructions so will reseal again...could have been why it failed so soon after the install in may....

Mustang

Quote from: "tomski"By resealing the cylinders do you mean cylinder liners? and if so how does one fix it?
when the head is off , you pull the liners up off the pistons , clean out the crud at the bottom of the water box and make sure all the old sealant is removed from the machined step where they sit , coat liberally with HYLOMAR sealant and reassemble .
If you omit this step you are likely to have leaks into the bottom end which will munch the rod bearings eventually .
some people get lucky and don't get leaks if they don't reseal the liners ....some do
cheap insurance to reseal

tomski

Right, most of it is off, removing the head tomorrow will get it machined just in case...will also reseal the liners etc...

havent removed the oil though, should I? and what should I clean the head and cams with, will petrol do?

any other pointers prior to install?

Mustang

Quote from: "tomski"Right, most of it is off, removing the head tomorrow will get it machined just in case...will also reseal the liners etc...

havent removed the oil though, should I? and what should I clean the head and cams with, will petrol do?

any other pointers prior to install?
kerosene or parrafin for you british folks...........

try not to get anything in the crankcase and flush and change oil before you start it up