News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

21' front wheel

Started by tomski, June 06, 2011, 10:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Quote from: "tomski"yep will do, thought i try:) so next q is where can i get rim and spokes...in the uk preferably...while i type this i will search the internet also...

Theirs loads, but this lot have a good rep,
 http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/index.html
2016 Tiger Sport

tomski

Thats great, will give 'em a call and find out the go....cheers :)

Milton

So, would the 21" wheel be less prone to wash out when the Tiger hits sand or deep gravel?
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

fishnbiker

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Ta.  I am quite a way off as I have yet to acquire a project bike for the cause :)

I am currently reading your travel website at the moment and have reached chapter 3 (Maine to Midland, Michigan).

Let me know when you get to Western Canada ... Old Felix as shown there is now more like Rocinante now.

21" wheel, Corbin seat, 3 into 1 exhaust, semi-high fender, cut down Powerbronze screen, 17 tooth sprocket, Conti TKC 08's, ally boxes, fishing rod, etc.

I just got back from a 10 day trip to central British Columbia, 1/2 of it with the BC Big Traiies ride  ://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640446 . Managed to slip in 1600 km of gravel backroads along with 800 km of pavement as well. Other than 2 hours of rain with the resulting mud, it was a perfect 6 days of ingesting dust.

Picked up a near pristine 91 R100 GS to be the road warrior, as the Tiger is now much happier on dirt than pavement.
The 17 tooth front made such a huge difference in the really soft stuff allowing me to ride easily at a slow walking pace. It topped out at 5000rpm around 100kmh though
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Milton"So, would the 21" wheel be less prone to wash out when the Tiger hits sand or deep gravel?

I didn't find this to be true on the 1600 k of mixed crud I just finished.

Technique is as important as product. The soft stuff needs to be worked with the throttle to manage it well. My main advantage proved to be a smoother ride in the rough with the larger diameter rim, with the 21" softening the sharp ruts & pot-holes, especially at higher speeds, up to 120 kmh on smooth gravel.

I also now have 2 complete sets of rims, the 21 & a 19 with knobbies & 3 new disks, plus a set of mounted Avon Gripsters for more leisurely running. With the sprocket cover modification, I can now switch from traily to road bike in under an hour.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "fishnbiker"Let me know when you get to Western Canada ... Old Felix as shown there is now more like Rocinante now.

21" wheel, Corbin seat, 3 into 1 exhaust, semi-high fender, cut down Powerbronze screen, 17 tooth sprocket, Conti TKC 08's, ally boxes, fishing rod, etc.
Will do.  BTW, what bike is your front mudguard off.  I much prefer yours, just above the wheel, rather than having it really high.

fishnbiker

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "fishnbiker"Let me know when you get to Western Canada ... Old Felix as shown there is now more like Rocinante now.

Will do.  BTW, what bike is your front mudguard off.  I much prefer yours, just above the wheel, rather than having it really high.

It's a generic Motocross fender with the nose trimmed down by patterning on the Tiger fender being laid over top & traced with a felt pen.  Tin snips & some 240 wet or dry sandpaper to do the cutting. It stands up due to the fender brace I built to mount it high enough to clear the 21" tire. The fork brace attaches with the original fender screws. Close-up photos can be sent if you want.
Ken/Fishnbiker

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "fishnbiker"It's a generic Motocross fender with the nose trimmed down by patterning on the Tiger fender being laid over top & traced with a felt pen.  Tin snips & some 240 wet or dry sandpaper to do the cutting. It stands up due to the fender brace I built to mount it high enough to clear the 21" tire. The fork brace attaches with the original fender screws. Close-up photos can be sent if you want.
That's fine.  I can see the braces on the shots.  I will probably use a similar thing when I begin mine.  It's good to see other modified bikes for inspiration.

tomski

Righto, called the suggested shop, £199 all inc (plus £15 for postage) using my hub and their s/s wheel and spokes...seems a fair price for a brand new job am proceeding with them...means I will be off my bike for a while (approx 3 weeks) but its worth the wait...the next thing is the rear (180 at the mo!)...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "tomski"Righto, called the suggested shop, £199 all inc (plus £15 for postage) using my hub and their s/s wheel and spokes...seems a fair price for a brand new job am proceeding with them...means I will be off my bike for a while (approx 3 weeks) but its worth the wait...the next thing is the rear (180 at the mo!)...
That's a good price.  Are you going to get the hub painted?

tomski

Well, its already silverish, so won't look out of place :)

Mudhen

You may want to give Baxter Cycle in Iowa a call...when I did my new rims (21" frt/18" rear) they had some used hubs that I purchased.  I also got the sprocket carrier, cush drive, etc so I could have different sprockets on the different wheels, too.

Pat

http://www.baxtercycle.com/
\'96 Steamer