News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprockets and teeth

Started by abruzzi, July 09, 2011, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

A few questions I should know the answer to.

- What are the stock Steamer sprocket sizes front and rear?  I've got a 48 in the rear, but no idea about the front.

- what's a good source for the sprocket's that isn't Triumph (and a good price as well)?

-  I would like to raise the gearing a touch, right now in top gear, 85 is around 5500 rpms if I remember correctly. I'd like to drop those rpms a touch.  If I raise the front or drop the rear, will anything else have to change or be customized?

- it's been a while, but these bikes take a 530 chain right?

I just changed the rear tire (shinko with tread separation) and noticed the teeth on the rear sprocket looked like shark fins.

Geof

JetdocX

JT makes sprogs for Tigers.

I've got 18 front and 48 rear.  I think that's the stock configuration.  Got them from bike bandit.  I remember a few choices in teeth numbers, but you'd have to look there to be sure.

The chain is a 530.  Way overkill for this bike!
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Looked back at my reciept from 2007:

TR-248985 = JT rear 48 tooth
TR-248925 = JT 18 tooth front

DID 530VM x 120 links for the chain.

Hope that helps.
From parts unknown.

CoolHandLuke

Just to confirm what JetdocX has said.  18 front and 48 rear are standard.  I am running 19 front and 47 rear (having used www.gearingcommander.com to check chain life).

The handbook lists the chain length as variable depending on year.  The Tiger workshop manual lists the chain as being 114L, but with my sprockets, this is too short and the eccentric is not set at the lowest point to make the bike stand the tallest for my long legs.  My next chain will be 116L with the same size sprockets.

JetdocX

Yeah, sorry, the 120 link chain needed to be cut down to 114 on mine.
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Just to confirm what JetdocX has said.  18 front and 48 rear are standard.  I am running 19 front and 47 rear (having used www.gearingcommander.com to check chain life).

The handbook lists the chain length as variable depending on year.  The Tiger workshop manual lists the chain as being 114L, but with my sprockets, this is too short and the eccentric is not set at the lowest point to make the bike stand the tallest for my long legs.  My next chain will be 116L with the same size sprockets.

Does the 19 up front require any modification, or is there enough space for the larger gear?  I think something around 19/48 or 19/46 would give a decent 500-800 rpm drop at 85 mph.

Is the need for the longer chain just because you what the eccentric at it's lowest point, or will it simply not fit? (I'm average height, and don't really care where the adjuster sits as long as I can adjust the tension.)

Geof

abruzzi

I should add another question:  I've had a hard time finding somewhere online that lists matching sprockets specifically for a 1995 tiger. So either a) I need a recommendation for an online retailer that does, or b) how interchangeable are other the parts for other triumph bikes?

For example, I can match parts for a 1997 speed triple from motorcycle-superstore.com.  Will sprockets that fit that bike work on mine?

Thanks,

Geof

CoolHandLuke

19T up front is a nice fit and requires no modification.

I think, with the 47T on the rear, I am getting a drop of just over 500rpm.  It has been fitted so long, I can't actually remember :)  70mph is around 4,500 rpm and 80 is around 5,000rpm.

If you go too small on the back, the chain will wear a groove into the top of the swingarm.  I know this, because I mistakenly put a 43T on the back (fortunately - or unfortunately? - I had to change the swing arm because the guy who rebuilt my rear wheel missed an internal spacer inside the sprocket housing which caused the swing arm to bend inwards, slightly, but enough that when the spacer was fitted, the sprocket nuts would catch the swingarm).  Sorry, I digress, I think the smallest sprocket you can safely go without catching the top of the swingarm is 46T.  For me, I wouldn't go much lower than that.

For the chain length, 114L does fit well, and the eccentric centre line is just forward of middle.  With 116L, I think the centre line will be spot, making the bike stand the tallest (I am sure the difference is minute).

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "abruzzi"I should add another question:  I've had a hard time finding somewhere online that lists matching sprockets specifically for a 1995 tiger. So either a) I need a recommendation for an online retailer that does, or b) how interchangeable are other the parts for other triumph bikes?

For example, I can match parts for a 1997 speed triple from motorcycle-superstore.com.  Will sprockets that fit that bike work on mine?

Thanks,

Geof

This is the 47T sprocket I went for:

1 x Renthal 179C-530-47-GD Gold anodised rear alloy sprocket - 47t
for Triumph Tiger 900 (1993)

Which came from www.intobikes.co.uk, who deliver to the USA.

abruzzi

Last question--I promise.

The source I found for JT sprockets has the rear in 46 and 48, and that's what I'm trying to decide on. If I go 19 in the front, will 46 in the rear kill the power?  I'm trying to get 6th gear cruising to a less stressed level (I live in New Mexico, where even the back roads can be ridden near 100mph). But I do commute daily on this bike, so I don't want to make it gutless around town. I get that I'll lose some of that power, but having never changed the sprockets on this bike, I don't have a sense of what the change will feel like.  How does the 19/47 feel on your bike?

Thanks,

Geof

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "abruzzi"Last question--I promise.

The source I found for JT sprockets has the rear in 46 and 48, and that's what I'm trying to decide on. If I go 19 in the front, will 46 in the rear kill the power?  I'm trying to get 6th gear cruising to a less stressed level (I live in New Mexico, where even the back roads can be ridden near 100mph). But I do commute daily on this bike, so I don't want to make it gutless around town. I get that I'll lose some of that power, but having never changed the sprockets on this bike, I don't have a sense of what the change will feel like.  How does the 19/47 feel on your bike?

Thanks,

Geof
I have done a fair few starts from quite steep hills with the 19/47 and not had any issues (on road and dirt track/uncategorised roads).  Looking at the gearing commander, you should be fine with 46T on the back, but for wear reduction, you should go with the 116L chain.

This image shows stock with 18T/48T/114L, current as 19T/47T/116L and custom setup is 19T/46T with 114L chain:

This image shows as above but the custom has been changed to 19T/46T/116L.

And this is the estimated speed at a certain RPM (which is not bad given it doesn't take into account wind resistance, surface, weight of rider, etc):