News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tank Coming Off - What needs doing while I am in there?

Started by Yankee Dog, July 11, 2011, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Dog

My 2006 Tiger with 18K on it started spitting coolant out of the overflow tank the other day. Was a mild 85F day and the engine was NOT overheating. I figure it needs a new radiator cap and maybe a flush.

So my question is, since this involves removing the tank. And removing the tank appears to be a royal PIA, what else in the way of preventive maintainance should I do while I have the thing off.

I figure the voltage fix. Anything else you folks can think of.

thanks,

Yankee Dog

Timbox2

Firstly , removing the tank aint no big deal though the first time might seem it, I can have the tank off in 15 mins tops now, so depends what your service history is like, but if they havent been done recently, maybe plugs and fuel filter. Oh and check the throttle and clutch cables for any signs of fraying etc.

Try to have as little fuel in the tank as possible, and support it well while its off, they have a tendency to change shape especially if its hot where you are. Be careful with the black infill panels especially the left one as its held at the back by a push fit into a gromet but also it then has to be pulled back towards the rear of the bike to release, dont pull out to much or you'll snap the front tab off, the R/H one just pulls back after removing the screws.

Your bike being a 2006 should only have the 1 fuel pipe so not affected by the dodgy fittings on the earlier ones.

Oh and 2 other things, if you do remove the aircleaner to do plugs etc, watch out for the sponge gasket that seals against the Idle valve assy, and also the front of the air cleaner locates under 2 little gromets above the cooling fan, easy to dislodge and then get chewed by the fan when it next comes on.

Thats it really, POP, not PIA,  (Piece of Pi..)
2016 Tiger Sport

KuzzinKenny

Hey Yankee Dog !! off the top of me head, change the 2 nylon elbows on the expansion tank for brass ones as the nylon tends to split eventually  :(

coolant will spew out if the levels to high, needs to be between the Min and Max for it not to !!

KK

ps get some Dielectric grease for all yer connections  :thumbsup

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/barbed-fitting-90-elbow-barbxbarb.jpg
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jwray76

I think the other guys have you covered pretty well here.

Yankee Dog

OK lets see...

-Plugs
-fuel and air filter
-check cables
-coolant elbows
-dielectric grease.

most of this should be OK. The previouse owner said he did a 12k service, but you never know. I know he didnt do a coolant flush as I asked him and he said no.

thanks for the advice.

Yankee Dog

TigerTrax

Piece of advice...

You'll see that to remove the tank you must remove the battery box to get to a torque head screw UNDER the battery box. ( Another Triumph...
'gotcha' moment). That torque head screw is a bummer... find a suitable hex head bolt to replace it . . life will be better next go-round!

If you put your bike on the centerstand... wrap the front brake lever tp engage the front brake..... you'll be wrestling wit that tank when you put it on and you will be pushing forward and that brake will hold the bike.

You can do this any time: But I purchased one foot of very small braided wire to attach to my 'seat release' lever. I then routed it so I could get ahold and pull to release the seat. I did this because every time I use the key I have visions of the key breaking off.  Then I'm screwed!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

KuzzinKenny

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly