News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Old Bike, New Member

Started by TripleTragic, July 13, 2011, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleTragic

Thought I had better introduce myself after lurking around for awhile. Some great stories and info here.

I picked up a Steamer a couple of weeks ago now and have been spending a little time getting to know it.  Due to a long history with T300 Speed Triples it is all familiar but different as well.

The bike is a 98 model which has been seen on here before.  I picked it up and road it home from Sydney

The bike has only got about 45,000km on it and engine is still pretty tight. Gearbox is probably the best of 885 gearbox I have ridden. Suspension needed some work, and it also suffered the DAR...

Upon getting it home I pulled it to pieces.  Luckily my gamble paid off and when I pulled the alternator off I found this (as opposed to a problem with the drive shaft side)

I just happened to have this lying around so in it went:

It is one from a later model Sprint(and others) - 40A as opposed to 26A. (more farkles)

After some reading around here I put 15mm spacers into the forks and got the rear shock rebuilt - much better.

I have also added heated grips and a second fuse block to cover off on the afore mentioned farkles.

Still to come are some spot lights and a couple of other bits and pieces.  Still thinking about lugage options and seats etc.

The old girl is shaping as a bit of a long distance weapon and I am looking forward to getting some k's on it and venturing down some roads I have avoided on the Speed Triple previously.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I discovered a use for all those over large o-rings that come with the non genuine oil filters for T300 series engines - they fit perfectly under the speedo and stop it bouncing around! Yay for crap laying around in the shed!
Good things come in Threes

HockleyBoy

Welcome aboard, sounds like you are getting on well sorting the bike. Look forward to some ride reports from down under :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

BruKen

Welcome. I like the alternator upgrade... do tell more please.

CoolHandLuke

Yes, more about the alternator :)

I am sure they require some modification to fit - certainly the one I have sitting in my cupboard does :)

TripleTragic

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Yes, more about the alternator :)

I am sure they require some modification to fit - certainly the one I have sitting in my cupboard does :)

Yes they do require a little gentle persuasion to fit.  This is the second one I have done but have basically copied the idea from the guys that worked it out on the Triumphrat forum.  Thread here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/132109-daytona-1200-trophy-1200-alternator.html

The short story for the wiring is to cut the original plug off,
blank off/tape up the white wire,
extend the brown wire so it fits on the IG blade post of the new alternator (the other blade post it unsed),
Make up a ~6guage wire with a 40A in line fuse which runs from the post on the Alt straight to the battery.

To get the new unit to fit you need longer bolts but the biggest thing is that the top right bolt will not fit in perfectly and you either need to drill out the hole in the engine case (as D'Charlie on the Triumphrat forum did) or the hole on the alternator (which I have done for both times I have done it).

Oh, and you also need to file off a little on one side of the alternator to allow the whole thing to rotate around an extra mm or so.

The link above provides much more detail from D'Charlie's development of the idea and my own first fitting.  Happy to help out more if needed.
Good things come in Threes

KuzzinKenny

Hey TripleTragic !! Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14

looks like yer goin to have loads O fun on that Tigger  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Advwannabe

Welcome TT. Lots of great Tigger roads around North Cooma
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180