News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Suspension front and rear

Started by bwvtom, July 22, 2011, 03:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwvtom

Hi everyone.

Has any one had any experience with Hyperpro suspension on their 955i tigers?

My old girl, (100,000kms) is now in need of some front and rear suspension and I figure it deserves an upgrade whilst I'm at it.

Have heard of a few who use Willburs units, and there is WP as well.

but I haven't heard too much about Hyperpro gear.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers B-burl  :)
B-burl

Chris Canning

As you already know Dutch shock company doing along the same lines as Wilbers with custom order shocks,I know folks with other bikes that speak well of them,no better better no worse,so long as you like purple shock springs  :shock:

mtrdrms

I went with the hagon and love it.  This guy writes a nice review:
http://www.adrianmolloy.com/Hagon_Shock.html
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

bwvtom

Quote from: "Chris Canning"As you already know Dutch shock company doing along the same lines as Wilbers with custom order shocks,I know folks with other bikes that speak well of them,no better better no worse,so long as you like purple shock springs  :shock:

Thanks Chris & mtrdrms
I've had a good look at them and they look like a well engineered product and about the same money as a Wilbers unit.

The front valves are actually the same ones Wilbers uses anyway and the springs are all made by the same crew just relabled.

I do use the hydraulic preload adjuster all the time as the loads are always varying between nothing and two weeks worth of water, fuel, camp gear, solo & two up.  So will need that option.

So think I will go for them.

Cheers B-Burl  8)
B-burl

pizzaman383

I got a HyperPro rear shock and really like it.  They originally sent the wrong shock (I have 2004 and they sent a 2006 shock).  I like the progressive shock on the HyperPro.  I also got the HyperPro progressive fork springs.  The combination keeps a ride that's fairly similar to the stock ride.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Chris Canning

Quote from: "pizzaman383"The combination keeps a ride that's fairly similar to the stock ride.

If thats the case I'd avoid e'm like the plague,and buy Wilbers.

pizzaman383

Quote from: "Chris Canning"If thats the case I'd avoid e'm like the plague,and buy Wilbers.

Different strokes for different folks :wink:.

Let me be more clear.  The thing I liked about the stock Tiger suspension was that it was not as stiff as most road bikes.  It was able to soak up bumps with comfort.  Of course, it had bad points I really disliked; huge fork dive, imprecise cornering, weight shifts during cornering, etc.  The HyperPros with progressive springs (plus fork cartridge emulators) takes away the bad and leaves the good.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

DobroDog

Quote from: "bwvtom"Hi everyone.

My old girl, (100,000kms) is now in need of some front and rear suspension and I figure it deserves an upgrade whilst I'm at it.

I replaced the shock on my 01 with a Works shock. The stocker would bottom out riding two up, no such problem with the shock from Works. Definitely feels better than stock.  I do have to keep the lower part of the spring lubricated or I get a nasty squeak  :oops:
DobroDog

Chris Canning

Quote from: "DobroDog"
Quote from: "bwvtom"Hi everyone.

I replaced the shock on my 01 with a Works shock. The stocker would bottom out riding two up, no such problem with the shock from Works. Definitely feels better than stock.  I do have to keep the lower part of the spring lubricated or I get a nasty squeak  :oops:

You should put some photos up,Works stays very much in the States,but more info maybe helpfull to others,was it custom made to you weight etc.

DobroDog

Quote from: "Chris Canning"You should put some photos up,Works stays very much in the States,but more info maybe helpfull to others,was it custom made to you weight etc.

They will customize it for your weight and riding style. The Preload/Sag is adjusted by using a spanner to turn the Preload nut that sits on top of the spring. Rebound is adjusted by turning an allen screw at the bottom of the shock. At the time I picked up my shock from them they did not have a model with an external reservoir with compression adjustment Will try to post a picture later.
DobroDog

DobroDog

Checked out the Works web site and they still cover the 855 and 955 Tigers. Below is a link to their website. The model that fits the Tiger is the UltraSport Gas Emulsion shock...no reservoir

[urlhttp://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html[/url]

Price is under $700 US
DobroDog

Sasquatch

I hesitated posting in this thread because I am a Hyperpro dealer, but I am sold on their shocks.  I put the base model on my 01 and am totally pleased with the result.  They built it and set it up perfectly out of the box for my unique loads and riding style.  Something I am pretty critical of because I make my living building suspensions.

Bike is very planted on the road.  On rough paved FS roads while riding rather hard, the rear just stays planted.  Hitting bumps and debris mid corner does not unsettle the bike at all now.

The shock retails for $590, with the remote spring preload adjuster option at $270.  It is a custom built to order shock set up for you.

I originally did not opt for the remote adjuster, but am thinking I may get one.  If you do not adjust your spring much, you could do just fine without it.

The front of the Tiger responds very well with a set of straight rate fork springs ($110-120 from me) and a set of Race Tech emulators at $165.

My bike works so well that there is simply no bike on the market today that is even tickling my fancy to trade mine for.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Sasquatch"I hesitated posting in this thread because I am a Hyperpro dealer, but I am sold on their shocks.  I put the base model on my 01 and am totally pleased with the result.  They built it and set it up perfectly out of the box for my unique loads and riding style.  Something I am pretty critical of because I make my living building suspensions.

Bike is very planted on the road.  On rough paved FS roads while riding rather hard, the rear just stays planted.  Hitting bumps and debris mid corner does not unsettle the bike at all now.

The shock retails for $590, with the remote spring preload adjuster option at $270.  It is a custom built to order shock set up for you.

I originally did not opt for the remote adjuster, but am thinking I may get one.  If you do not adjust your spring much, you could do just fine without it.

The front of the Tiger responds very well with a set of straight rate fork springs ($110-120 from me) and a set of Race Tech emulators at $165.

My bike works so well that there is simply no bike on the market today that is even tickling my fancy to trade mine for.

Couldn't see any bad spelling either!!!(sorry injoke off another forum),bike wise me neither having just put a monster spring on my Ohlins,just needs a tad more work  :roll:

Any Brit looking at those prices,don't ask me how the Americans get away with it  :? ,I know a lad here in the UK who buys his Wilbers via the US their ,Germany/US/UK and cheaper  :(  bonkers,and I've no doubt Hyperpro is as well,but if you do buy, don't shout about it, the UK importer will complain  :evil:

Timbox2

I thought somebody said on here some months back that Hyperpro Europe had stopped making Tiger shocks, he even posted an email reply from them where they stated that they were not happy building these shocks anymore as they werent happy with Triumphs  design.
2016 Tiger Sport

Sasquatch

I sell quite a few with no problems.