News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does my bike not like the heat?

Started by mtrdrms, July 25, 2011, 01:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 1999 Tiger and the bike has been really great...until yesterday. So I was riding home from work and it was about 100 degrees. The idle started to hang up between shifts and when I came to a stop. About 2k rpms. The temp indicator did not read high at all (in fact it never really moves from the second line from the bottom). Then the oil light started to flicker on the dash panel. I just rode home about another 5 miles and shut it down and have not tried to restart it. Once I got home though I checked the oil and the level was fine.

My questions are:
Is the temp gauge known to be accurate?
What would cause the idle to increase?
And, what turns the oil light on?

Any other suggestions or input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

the oil sender switch for the light is defective .......common problem

the temp gauges always read down near the bottom of scale when moving

try a 12 minute tune

The Twelve-Minute Tune resets all the values read by the various sensors, and starts the 'learning' portions of the ECU over with a clean slate.

With the bike stone-cold, start the engine, then touch nothing. You don't want to give it any throttle, brake, clutch, or any other input to the ECU. Just start it and let it idle.

Start your timer when the radiator fan first turns on. Give it the full twelve minutes, then shut the bike off with the key (not the red kill rocker switch).

so after you do a twelve minute tune you need to ride a couple of three or four times to let the ecu get the trims back where they need to be

KuzzinKenny

Hey mtrdrms !! 100F Phew !!  :shock: thats almost 38C !! do you know when it had its last oil change ? and what grade of oil was used ? from memory, it should be fully synthetic 10W/40 !! check your fan is comin on, even if the gauge shows low temp !!

also check yer radiator is not blocked !!

good luck

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

mtrdrms

Thanks guys!  Ill replace that sender mustang and do the 12 min tune.  Would that cause the high idle as well?  
The oil was done about 1000 miles ago with Rotella synthetic and pureone filter.  This thing is my daily mule and I need it to work reliably.

Mustang - I see your from NH.  I'm down in CT. but I'm going to Loudon tuesday. Any adventure rides scheduled that you know of?  I'm new to this and want to get involved with some like minded folks.

Andy

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

you have a pm...........

mtrdrms

So I just went out to check on the oil switch and the connection was loose so hopefully that was it.  However I did notice that my blinkers and horn do not work.  High beams and everything else seem ok.  Is there a fuse for these two functions?

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

Danny955i

Hey andy, fellow newenglander,

Fuses are in a small box in front of the ecu under the drivers seat.

Check your battery connections, ground connection, and unplug your regulator/rectifier to check for corrotion, spray some electrical cleaner on the connection and put a dab of di-electric grease in the clip.

Should prevent any shorts and keep good juice flowing!

Timbox2

Quote from: "mtrdrms"So I just went out to check on the oil switch and the connection was loose so hopefully that was it.  However I did notice that my blinkers and horn do not work.  High beams and everything else seem ok.  Is there a fuse for these two functions?

Andy

Hmmm, check your brake lights are working, if not you could have the common unsoldered joint in the ignition switch.
2016 Tiger Sport

mtrdrms

Thanks Danny and Timbox.  I will go through the electical connections - not a bad idea if everything is working well!  As for the faulty ignition, would this cause an intermittent no-start or does it just fail all of the sudden?  Previous owner warned of an electrical gremlin that caused the bike to not start one in twenty tries.  I have not seen it yet but how would I fix this faulty solder?

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

Timbox2

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Thanks Danny and Timbox.  I will go through the electical connections - not a bad idea if everything is working well!  As for the faulty ignition, would this cause an intermittent no-start or does it just fail all of the sudden?  Previous owner warned of an electrical gremlin that caused the bike to not start one in twenty tries.  I have not seen it yet but how would I fix this faulty solder?

Andy

Look at this post for a picture of the underside of the switch, it will be apparent what needs doing.  
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ion+switch

As for the not starting every now and then, my money would be on a sticky clutch interlock switch( The little switch on the clutch lever)
2016 Tiger Sport

smoketriples

So does the temp gauge on the 855i work correctly?  I bought my bike Friday, rode it home in 102F temps, with a lot of stop and go traffic, and it barely got above the tic mark.

Was that real or is it a placebo gauge?  :)

No running issues at all with that heat.  Bike didn't seem to care.. 80 miles of scorching heat and humidity friday.

eric
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

Mustang

the gauges read low side as normal when moving

mtrdrms

Hey Timbox, link didn't work.  Can you post the pic again?

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

Timbox2

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Hey Timbox, link didn't work.  Can you post the pic again?

Andy

Weird, worked first time, here it is again

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ion+switch
2016 Tiger Sport

mtrdrms

-Robert Pirsig