News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: YouTube Project
Last post by ghulst - July 03, 2024, 08:37:33 AM
I have just added that to my "Watch later" list. :)
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Surging at 3-4k RPM
Last post by Flyingwombat - July 01, 2024, 11:21:49 PM
Hey dude, I'm just an engineer who cares about bringing my dads bike to running order again. I'm as lost as you just a few months past the event horizon...
Last post by HiYo Silver - July 01, 2024, 04:37:59 PM
It's been said before, but I really admire your persistance in getting this problem identified and solved.   For an absolute newbie like me, it's like an episode from Star Trek, where the engineers are saying "We'll have to re-phase the deflector dish and route the plasma through the Jeffries tube....."
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: YouTube Project
Last post by HockleyBoy - July 01, 2024, 02:27:11 PM
Got one like that in my sons garage (my original 05 orange cast wheel tiger) that hasnt been mot'd for a similar length of time as I blew up the engine! The "new" engine has been sitting on the bench in my garage for a similar length of time. One day when I have some time I will hopefully bring them together  :icon_biggrin:
Last post by Flyingwombat - June 30, 2024, 10:12:09 PM
So I didn't type this out because I was desperately trying to fix her in order to ride her to the ABR festival... Unfortunately this did not work out and she remains in pieces.

So the update.

- Putting her back together she was idling better.
- When the engine got hot I saw ignition in throttle body 2.
- I replaced TB2 injector with a salvaged one.
- Then once the engine was hot I saw ignition in TB1.
- I replaced injector in TB1 with another salvaged one but TB1 is still igniting.
- I then re-checked the TPS function, the TPS voltage shown on TuneECU remains constant during fluctuations of RPM, and increases continuously as the throttle is twisted.

I still need to do a hot compression test.
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / YouTube Project
Last post by London_Phil - June 30, 2024, 05:54:01 PM
Youtuber has just started a project of a Girly left standing for 10 years...
Other Triples / Re: Daysie's Diary
Last post by Lee337 - June 30, 2024, 04:51:56 PM
It seems I've been a bit lazy of late, what with work, gardening, blood bike duty, servicing Talyn J, firing up Tabitha Trophy ready for summer, getting Tallulah through her MOT ready to be sold and a host of other tasks.

Daysie has been moved around the garage many times, but I've not really done anything to her. So yesterday (Saturday), I removed her battery, brought it into the house & put her on my Noco charger. By this morning, it was fully charged & reconditioned, it was dry & slightly warm outside, so time to pull Daysie out of the garage.

I connected up the now fully charged battery & flicked the ignition switch. Nothing had changed, she hadn't miraculously fixed herself and the right headlight came on full beam. Mistake number 1, turning the ignition off did not turn the headlight off and as I've removed the nose cone, I didn't realise the light was resting on the mudguard. Those bulbs can certainly throw some heat out when on full beam. I realised this when I noticed a little whisp of smoke coming from it. Too late, there's now a small burn patch on the prevoiusly pristine Strontium yellow mudguard. :BangHead

I also noticed that the previously fully charged battery was showing 11.3v, even with the ignition turned off. I pulled the headlight main beam relay more as an act of desperation than anything else but it made no difference, right headlight still on full. I pulled the dipped beam relay & the right headlight went out.  :icon_eek:

Checked the battery and it was up to 12.7v.

Turned the ignition on, still 12.7v.

Turned the lights on, side lights first & they came on as they should.voltage dropped a little but still above 12.5v.

Turned on the headlights, both came on the right on dipped beam, the right on full beam. Brake lights worked, dash lights worked.

Now we're getting somewhere. I even pulled the clutch & flicked the starter, listening to the engine turn as if it was trying to start - it never would, no fuel tank but still...

So it's the dipped beam circuit somewhere. I swapped the relay, just in case but it's not that causing the issue, so there's a short somewhere. Just to be certain, with the dipped beam relay in I checked the voltage of the battery again. You guessed it, down to 11.3v. Definitely the dipped beam circuit.

OK, start at the front & work my way back. I unplugged all the loom at the front & checked for continuity. The two headlight sockets first. the right was as expected, the left showed continuity where there shouldn't be any. :icon_scratch:

While everything was unplugged, I (again) cleaned each contact with electrical contact cleaner, plugged everything back in again just as Mrs L came out with coffee asking how I was getting on.

So I showerd her, plugging the dipped beam relay in, showing her the result, then pulling it again. Then I heard a small 'pop'.

Checked the fuses and the indicator fuse had blown. Odd, I haven't touched them. Pull the indicator relay, which is also the rear light, replaced the fuse, turned the ignition back on as 'pop' there it goes again. :icon_sad:

OK, leave the fuse out for now, but hang on, the lights are now not working. Pull the indicator relay, replace the indicator'rear light fuse, pull the dipped beam fuse, turn the ignition on...

No lights,

no brake light,

no rear light.

So the sum total of today's work is one burned mudguard.

And they say bikes are ful... :BangHead

Thanks!  Gasket installation went well.   Then discovered it was leaking out of the "weep hole", so a new pump is likely.   I'm now a trained Triumph Technician!  ;)
Thanks!  I was this years old when I learned what a "weep hole" is.  The Haynes manual says the internal parts for a water pump are not available;  and that a new pump is required.   I'm okay with that ($200 for an OEM replacement),but I want to make sure it's not a DIY job, since I'm already holding the thing in my hands....  :)
It is indeed a "weep" hole, designed specifically to let coolant out...It's a tell tale to alert you that the inner seal has failed, and coolant is getting where it shouldn't...
New seals or replacement pump required.