News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recent posts

I sure do appreciate all the help and encouragement I've been getting here.  :)

I replaced the gasket, ran my Tiger for a while to warm it up....and sure enough, the leak started again.   So this time I REALLY looked long and hard, to try and see where the steady drip was coming from.  I figured out it was above the drip point "somewhere", not visible from my flat-on-the-ground-forehead-next-to-the-oil-pan vantage point.   Maybe it's a crack in the housing, I wondered.  I removed the water pump again.

Imagine my surprise when I found a engineering-designed, factory-built HOLE where the water is coming out.  It's not mentioned in the manual, or parts description, but I assume it is there for a reason.  The sides of the hole are not threaded,so a screw isn't meant to be there.

1) What is it's purpose?
2) Assuming it's not just to leak coolant, does it mean that something is amiss inside my water pump, and the entire assembly should be replaced?

See photo and attached.
General Discussions / Re: New boots & Panties
Last post by linarus1994 - June 28, 2024, 01:59:19 PM
Can anyone give me any feedback on boots from https://pandomoto.com/blog/product-by-tag/leather-motorcycle-boots/ I'm currently looking at the shop and I love the price that they are offering. Any suggestion is acceptable.
Hi, Welcome to the world of Triumph ownership - a slippery slope to time evaporation.......

Agree that replacement gaskets would be advised.
Secondly, it looks a bit like corrosion, so ensure that you clean out what's there, and refill with an appropriate (& new) coolant.  I seem to recall that it needs 50/50 mix, higher than other IC engines.

Regards, Bill

I'm thinking it might be an additive, or the flushing agent I used when I drained the coolant three weeks ago.  When I look at videos of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, it all looks pretty brown and milky; not bright white like this residue is.   I think I will clean it up and proceed with the gasket replacement and reassembly.  :)
Maybe someone already tried a leak stop additive, or antifreeze mixed?
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / White Goo in the Water Pump
Last post by HiYo Silver - June 27, 2024, 08:30:27 PM
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i.  52K miles.

While chasing down a leak in the coolant system (steady dripping from the bottom of the water pump), when I removed the water pump and took off the cover, this white goo was in the pump.  Not all through the pump, just the cover (see attached photo).  The goo is soft, not hard and flakey, easily removed. 

But I'm wondering if the white goo is oil coming through to the water pump because of bad seals?  If so, should I replace the water pump?  Or just replace the rubber O-rings? 

It's the first time I've had the water pump apart.  Before this new leak, I replaced the thermostat because it was overheating;  testing the thermostat in a pan of water showed it was bad.  Replaced, flushed the coolant, and put it all back together.  It started, made three short runs on it, and now the drips started.

Heck, this is the first time I've worked on my bike myself.  ;)
Girly Talk (1999 - 2006 Tigers) / Re: Surging at 3-4k RPM
Last post by Flyingwombat - June 25, 2024, 11:21:14 PM
After shimming I have cold compression of 165, 170, 158 PSI. Cannot see in the manual what it should be hot or cold...
Tiger 800's (2010 - 2020 Tigers) / Re: Talyn's Diary
Last post by Lee337 - June 24, 2024, 08:10:49 PM
Home again after just short of 1400 miles. Talyn J performed far better than I did, I suspect Talyn J would be ready to go again having checked chsin, tyres and pil. Me, nor so good. Spent the last 2 days recovering, mostly from the Sunset to Sunrise, 258 mile ride home.
Bikes for Sale / Re: FS 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i...
Last post by Zsolt - June 24, 2024, 05:33:31 AM
Installed the Jesse bags, and took some pictures of the additional items such as the tall windshield, top box (also Jesse), tank bag, and an Alaska Leathers sheepskin seat cover that I have been told adds 100 miles.  :icon_lol:

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Engine and Transmission / Back from a ride and saw this
Last post by TX_Grubby - June 23, 2024, 07:57:07 PM
Went out for my weekly Sunday sanity ride. When I got back home, and after parking I noted a spot of oil underneath the bike. Any thoughts? I wiped it all down to see if I could locate where it came from but nothing since. Recently had the 24k Service done.