News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork springs

Started by SethTiger, February 09, 2010, 12:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

Mustang, are your eccentrics upside down, or are mine?
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Mustang

mine are in that pic , depends on what tires I have on the tigger and how much preload on the ohlins ......sometimes she is just too tall for my 30 inch inseam    :wink:

Medic09

Quote from: "Mustang"mine are in that pic , depends on what tires I have on the tigger and how much preload on the ohlins ......sometimes she is just too tall for my 30 inch inseam    :wink:

Sounds like maybe something I should try.  (Inseam barely makes 30".)  No effects on function?  Do I just turn it all the way round, or will it overtighten the chain on the way?  Do I remove it and replace it upside down?  A mechanic friend once mentioned this to me, but was hesitant about it.  Didn't say why.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Medic09"Sounds like maybe something I should try.

You'll need to raise the chain guard too - as shown in the piccy. You'll also need to be careful about where you park up using the sidestand. How do I know this? ;-)
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Mustang

Quote from: "Medic09"Sounds like maybe something I should try.  (Inseam barely makes 30".)  No effects on function?

pull your forks up in the triple trees about 3/4 to  an inch and she will turn like a scalded dog   :wink:

QuoteDo I just turn it all the way round, or will it overtighten the chain on the way?  Do I remove it and replace it upside down?  A mechanic friend once mentioned this to me, but was hesitant about it.  Didn't say why.

rotate it towards the front of bike , chain will get real loose then you just adjust it till you like the chain tension .
There will no longer be any reference marks to use for adjusting chain though , and like mentioned you need to raise the rear mount of the chain guard up like in the pic , about an inch of spacer and a longer bolt works .
Also check to make sure the lug on the side of the brake carrier has been removed because it will prevent you from rotating the eccentrics upside down

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Medic09"There will no longer be any reference marks to use for adjusting chain though

When I was sure I had my wheel aligned I put a couple of pop marks on the rim of the clamp so I could use them for reference

Quote Also check to make sure the lug on the side of the brake carrier has been removed because it will prevent you from rotating the eccentrics upside down

I didn't have to do this on my 04.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Medic09

lug on the side of the brake carrier?
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Mustang

steamers have a lug on the outboard side of the brake carrier to prevent you from rotating the eccentrics , not sure about the Girly bikes .........
you'll know if there is one as you won't be able to rotate around until you grind it off .

Medic09

Spacers under chain guard front and rear, or just rear?  I should think in any case the front wouldn't need to be raised as much?
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Mustang

yack_ass

Hey guys, read this thread and did a quick search but haven't found an answer.

Does it pay out to change the springs to progressive ones?

I don't know what kind are on the bike right now. When I apply the brake it dives realy fast, so I'm thinking they are stock (with really old oil). And I don't like that feeling.

Will progressive springs help with this? Or would just an oil change help (let's say that right now there is stock inside, what would I have to put in)?

I'm interested in riding on "gravel-forest service" roads and asphalt.

The springs are not that expensive --> is it possible to change them by myself, I saw some people clame it is really easy to chenge the oil, so I figured while doing that you just swap the springs?

p.s.: got my gear box today, finally  :wings  :wings  :wings  :wings

topher0268

Quote from: "NKL"If you like the plushness of the stock suspension but are worried about dive under braking, reduce the air gap.

By how much? Do you have a good reference starting point? 25% of the gap .... 50%?

(yes I know it's all subjective and varies with load but it's hard to know where to start from never having tried this before)
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

blacktiger

Quote from: "topher0268"
Quote from: "NKL"If you like the plushness of the stock suspension but are worried about dive under braking, reduce the air gap.

By how much? Do you have a good reference starting point? 25% of the gap .... 50%?

(yes I know it's all subjective and varies with load but it's hard to know where to start from never having tried this before)

Try reducing 5mm at a time until you either find a setting you like or decide it's not what you want. According to my manual the std. setting is 107mm for spoke wheel Girlies.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

DKWrider

QuoteTry reducing 5mm at a time until you either find a setting you like or decide it's not what you want. According to my manual the std. setting is 107mm for spoke wheel Girlies.  

My manual for the 885 Triumph says 119mm from the top (forks compressed), 682cc of 10w.

When I put in the Progressive Suspension springs, they recommended 140mm from the top due to the tighter winding of their springs (displace more oil).
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger