News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork springs

Started by SethTiger, February 09, 2010, 12:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethTiger

I have searched and found some info, but need more.

Ive got a 99 tiger, bought new. About 6 years ago I had a hagon
progressive fork spring installed. It did help with fork dive and seems to handle cornering alot better. BUT, I miss that smooth ride on rough roads.
I wish their was other options. I would like the best of both worlds.
Is their any way to have great bump soaking, no nose dive, and good
cornering?

Mustang

The stock tiger spring with a 10 weight or even 15 weight fork oil work pretty well for what you are after .
You will still get some fork dive under HARD braking but not as bad as with the 5 wt oil that tiggers come with  :wink:

Sasquatch

How much do you weigh?  What loads do you carry?

Proper STRAIGHT RATE springs, Emulators, Synthetic ATF and you will be golden.

If you need help with parts information on setup, ask away.

SethTiger

Thanks Mustang and Sasquatch,

I weight about 185 lbs. I just bought hard luggage. I think that adds about
35 lbs, empty. I won't always have full luggage on. Only do a couple
3 to 4 day trips. When you say use strait rate spring, does that mean
that the original spring will work ok, or is their something better.
I have no idea what emulator are.

I have more to say, but I got to get to work.

jonathan jaecks

Race Tech cartridge emulators  http://www.racetech.com/  essentially make your damping rod fork behave more like a cartridge fork.  Paired with a spring and oil of your choice you should be able to tune the ride to your liking.  Much better that the stock setup.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

John Stenhouse

I'm with Mustang on this one. My 2000 was atrocious at the front, I stayed with the stock spring and went up to 15wt oil, it improves the dive without losing too much of the nice original feel.

I have to say though I've never driven any Tiger with emulators or pro springs so this is subjective
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

I've got a tiger with a Traxxion refurbed front forks and rear shock
while it handles the road very well , I don't like the emulators at all
far too stiff for that bump absorbing ride
in my opinion it kinda defeats the purpose of having a long legged beast for soaking up bumps . maybe I need to try some ATF in it ....hmmmmmmm

Tigger 2 on the other hand (have I ever mentioned it's my favorite :ImaPoser ) has an Ohlins in the rear and stock tiger up front with 15 wt. oil , me likey . 8)

Chris Canning

Quote from: "SethTiger"I have searched and found some info, but need more.

Ive got a 99 tiger, bought new. About 6 years ago I had a hagon
progressive fork spring installed. It did help with fork dive and seems to handle cornering alot better. BUT, I miss that smooth ride on rough roads.
I wish their was other options. I would like the best of both worlds.
Is their any way to have great bump soaking, no nose dive, and good
cornering?

You want your cake and eat it as they say,no harm in trying but it ain't going to happen,you can have one or the other,or a compromise that does neither :wink:.

NKL

If you like the plushness of the stock suspension but are worried about dive under braking, reduce the air gap.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Sasquatch

You should be running .90kg fork springs, ATF, Emulators set at two turns out.  I promise, it will feel good.

Mustang, if you did not like the emulators, how did you have them set up?  RT always sets their stuff up too stiff.  2.0 turns out (vs. 4.0 turns) is much more plush, yet makes the forks ride much better.

SethTiger

This might sound crazy but since I already have the progressive springs
in right now,and I found the can of oil they put in and it is 15 weight,
What would happen if I put lighter  weight in,like 5 wieght.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"has an Ohlins in the rear and stock tiger up front with 15 wt. oil , me likey . 8)

Me hope to likey also when I get it back on the road. Slightly OT (when has htat ever bothered me) have you got any pics of the Ohlins with it's original stickers, I thought about gettign a set made up here but can't figure out which colour / size / orientation and whether they had a warning label or not?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

I've run an Ohlins on the back and stock forks,Ohlins springs 15 wt oil for some years,first 50 miles?,stiffish,after that spot on.

Mustang

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Slightly OT (when has htat ever bothered me) have you got any pics of the Ohlins with it's original stickers, I thought about gettign a set made up here but can't figure out which colour / size / orientation and whether they had a warning label or not?

The shock had no labels or warnings , and the remote cylinder has nothing on it other than the Ohlins sticker , thats the way it came from Ohlins
The sticker  looks like this one on my swingarm with the only difference being that the letters are clear which lets the gold anodized body shine thru like gold letters
the size of the sticker on the remote is 2 5/8 inch  x  1 inch
and the swingarm sticker is 5 x2 inch

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"the remote cylinder has nothing on it other than the Ohlins sticker , thats the way it came from Ohlins
The sticker  looks like this one on my swingarm with the only difference being that the letters are clear which lets the gold anodized body shine thru like gold letters

Sorry I should have said it was the remote I was talking about. That's what I suspected, Blue on clear.

Brilliant, thanks Mustang  :thumbsup  :occasion14
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint