News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly output shaft seal

Started by Chad, May 02, 2012, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince

my pleasure  twas nothing :occasion14
yours looks awesome with that pipe next time i want to hear it :lol:
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

vince

my pleasure  twas nothing :occasion14
yours looks awesome with that pipe next time i want to hear it :lol:
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Chad

well this afternoon i settled myself in the garage and found the leak . its not the output shaft seal , though for future reference thats an easy pop out and re-install job :D

bad news is i would say that the welding repair to the casing has caused a slight warp to the machined faces causing the leak , there is evidence of instant gasket there but this seems to ave failed.. this leak is very minor but will bug the shit out of me , so it looks like its going to be an engine out job :BangHead

a couple of phone pics  you cant really see it from the pics but its only leaking to the left of the machined face up to the corner  

Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

First off, that's not a big repair so the distortion thing is very unlikely, and the engine didn't need stripping to do that - I misunderstood from your description what had been done.

From the goo it does look like it's been apart at some time though so you have to ask your self:

1.   Do I have the tools and skill to do this strip and rebuild?

2.   Does the leak really justify the work involved?

3.   Is there anything I can do to stop or reduce the leak without stripping? (plastic metal etc... I have an oil leak stop stick somewhere, if I can find it I'll let you know what it's called)

4.   What is the consequesnce of not doing it ? (constant drip - yes, catastrophic failure - very very unlikely... etc)

Your call  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

JB WELD it even fixes gas tank leaks permanently ........and it will repair holes in cases too ! just need to clean and prep the surface .
gas and oil don't bother it if you let it cure for a couple days  :wink:

John Stenhouse

^^^^
What he said, even fixed the block on the Range Rover after I put a hydraulic tappet through it................don't ask  :roll:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chad

Quote from: "Mustang"JB WELD it even fixes gas tank leaks permanently ........and it will repair holes in cases too ! just need to clean and prep the surface .
gas and oil don't bother it if you let it cure for a couple days  :wink:

sounds like a plan , till i feel like stripping it out as i said its such a small leak that will work fine :D

Chad

well i got me some JB weld  always handy to have :D

but i figured as this is such a slight leak ive used some locktight instant gasket first i cleaned the whole area up gave it a good douse down with brake cleaner , blew it out with the compressor wiped off and left to dry.

i then applied some along the joint let that set and then another coat 10mm either  side of the seem.
and its worked a treat dry as a bone even up to running temp :D

next up is chains and sprockets 19tooth going in the front too , so any advise for the best chains to use on these beastys or D.I.D X-rings the way to go ? :D

metalguru

DID gold heavy duty on mine, lubed with teflon dry spray(Weldite TFT) and so far had 9000 miles with NO adjustment needed, riding like a hooligan when able.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

PeteH

Standard D.I.D gold here...more than enough for a Tigger, depends how much you want to spend realy. I use WURTH dry lube too :D
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chad

Quote from: "metalguru"DID gold heavy duty on mine, lubed with teflon dry spray and so far had 9000 miles with NO adjustment needed, riding like a hooligan when able.

nice one  triumph online seem to have very fair prices , so ive ordered there

its quite possible the Petticoat Government will kill me , but in my trial i shall use getting the bike ready for when im fit to ride again as my excuse to avoid the firing squad :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

HamrenDan

I concur.. I used JB weld on a cracked oil pan in my Audi.  The local welding shop could not fix it due to the type of aluminum.  I just cleaned it up and did a coat inside and out and no problems ever since (3 years prolly 100K miles).  I have heard of people using it to fix radiators damaged while 4 wheeling on the Rubicon trail.  I love the stuff!
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger
Previous 99 955i Sprint ST

Chad

Chain and sprockets fitted today , rear brake caliper stripped cleaned and re-assembled all working sweetly :D

decided to pull the front wheel out and take off the discs because i had a strange pulsing at slow speed.

these were new discs fitted by the previous owner and as i suspected the old pads were left in , so ive pulled the discs off and cleaned the seating area and the front callipers will receive the same loving attention as the rear :D

she should be even sweater when im fit to ride :D  :friday

Chad

i noticed some play in the head races , so adjusted them up only to find them then notchy as a hell  :?

so a new set of All balls bearings arrived in the post yesterday :D

here's what the old ones looked like

its the first time ive seen this style of bearing in a head race  :? it kind of foxed me for a moment , i was thinking it was some sort of bodge till i checked the work shop manual :lol:  :lol:

think its time i figure out a sump guard for her and some  Heidenau K60 Scouts

:D