News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly output shaft seal

Started by Chad, May 02, 2012, 10:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

has anybody done one ? if so is it a git of a job or fairly simple . ive played with the search but cant find anything.

cheers in advance

chad  :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Bixxer Bob

Before diving in, are you absolutely sure it's the seal leaking? That's a really cruddy area behind the sprocket cover.  Just tryin' to save you some work.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Before diving in, are you absolutely sure it's the seal leaking? That's a really cruddy area behind the sprocket cover.  Just tryin' to save you some work.

Yeah! Could be an over enthusiastic chain luber.
In all the years of trawling these forums I've never heard of one leaking and never seen a "how to" thread replacing it.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Before diving in, are you absolutely sure it's the seal leaking? That's a really cruddy area behind the sprocket cover.  Just tryin' to save you some work.

As yet not sure , I've got to pop off the sprocket , at some point she's had a chain break that's done some damage to the area , it looks like a good job off repairing its been done its been tig welded . So I'm wondering if the heat has done the seal over time .

Bixxer Bob

Are you saying the case has been welded or just the sprocket cover?  If it's the gearbox case then there's no way to do that successfully on the bike.  The oil gets into the alloy which prevents the weld forming properly. It takes some major cleaning inside and out to get a good, non-porus weld. It's a long time since I did one, but it took a hot solvent bath and an aircraft qualified welder to get it done.  What I'm saying is the seal was probably removed before welding.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Before diving in, are you absolutely sure it's the seal leaking? That's a really cruddy area behind the sprocket cover.

Agree...chain lube collects all around the cover ...engine heats up lube which then drips when you park up, hope its the cause.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Are you saying the case has been welded or just the sprocket cover?  If it's the gearbox case then there's no way to do that successfully on the bike.  The oil gets into the alloy which prevents the weld forming properly. It takes some major cleaning inside and out to get a good, non-porus weld. It's a long time since I did one, but it took a hot solvent bath and an aircraft qualified welder to get it done.  What I'm saying is the seal was probably removed before welding.

im not quite sure till i get it off , im a bit restricted at the mo due to a back opp but . a mate is popping round today today to reposition her in the garage so i can plonk myself in a seat and pull the cover and front sprocket off.

ill most likely have a go tomorrow and then post up some pics of what i find  :D thanks so far  :D

PeteH

[/quote]im not quite sure till i get it off , im a bit restricted at the mo due to a back opp but . a mate is popping round today today to reposition her in the garage so i can plonk myself in a seat and pull the cover and front sprocket off.[/quote]

Bad back?.. best get him to take the sprocket off for you as it might take some shifting.

Chad

Quote from: "PeteH"
im not quite sure till i get it off , im a bit restricted at the mo due to a back opp but . a mate is popping round today today to reposition her in the garage so i can plonk myself in a seat and pull the cover and front sprocket off.[/quote]

Bad back?.. best get him to take the sprocket off for you as it might take some shifting.[/quote]my mate pete is not to be trusted with a spanner :shock:

not a problem  mate , ive a selection of Airtools and a decent sized compressor  so it makes it easy :D  its two weeks since the opp so ive a reasonable amount of movement just got to not be silly :wink:

PeteH

Quote from: "Chad"ive a selection of Airtools and a decent sized compressor  so it makes it easy :D  its two weeks since the opp so ive a reasonable amount of movement just got to not be silly :wink:

Have you had the sprocket off before? if not keep him handy...put the bike in 1st and have him hold the brakes on...not fun catching an errant Girly from the comfort of a chair :wink:

Chad

:lol:  :lol: i once had that experience with my old africa twin  :lol:

Neighbour came to my rescue says he never realised there were that many swear words :lol:

thank mate :)

vince

i'm two minutes away if you need help :5moped
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Chad

Quote from: "vince"i'm two minutes away if you need help :5moped

Cheers for that Vince i shall bear it in mind , i didnt get out there today decided just to rest up today and over the weekend then tackle it on monday :thumbsup
then we'll see whats what :D

cdubya

Good luck Chad. Hoping it's chain lube.
06 Girly

Chad

nice to meet you today Vince :thumbsup

thanks for the manual and by the way your tiger is a peach mate :headbang