News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tall "Dakar" Style windscreen......Interest???....Orders?

Started by KamikazeKunze, December 12, 2016, 10:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamikazeKunze

Hello,

Me again with more Noob requests....sorry.

Anyone know where to get this windscreen? I am looking for a more upright screen Dakar style if you will. I really love the look of it!

Well I found this.....https://www.tourenfahrer.de/motorrad-mensch/leserbikes/leserbike-triumph-tiger/bilder-umbau-triumph-tiger-5/
which is apparently the bike.....and it appears it was custom made.

Thanks

threepot

Lots of Touratech stickers on the bike...clue? :icon_wink:  Never seen one though.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

that's an oldie ................................
it's a German bike
the fairing is a one off handmade fiberglass creation .
there were two of them made as far as I can remember .
Mudhen scored the second one and had on his steamer up until I bought his steamer from him .
he passed it on to someone but I can't remember who

It was heavy ,weighed a ton , dont see how he kept the cheesy OEM cockpit bracket from snapping

KamikazeKunze

Hey everyone,

I am working with a local Denver (Colorado) area custom fiberglass company at the possibility of producing this windscreen. For now They are going to look at the pics I sent them and see if it's something they are wanting to do. I am hoping for at least two for myself (a spare), but I indicated that there could be more people on the forums who may also want these.

So......anyone else interested......cost depending that it is?????

Thanks

Sin_Tiger

As Mustang says, made in grp they're usually heavy. I know of one friend who replaced his KTM 990 front after a drop and the grp effort was double the weight of the stock item. I'd recommend giving them a target weight so you don't get stuck with a couple of boat anchors.

It's crossed my mind to do this myself but using a former and thermoplastic but never took any further.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KamikazeKunze

I hear ya, but these aren't exactly dainty bikes, plus for me at least if i loose a bit from my midsection it will compensate for the whole package :augie

Nick Calne

Could it be 3d printed instead?  You'd need to laser scan the original and then extend / adjust the shape using a cad package.

It would be lighter and you would have control of the shape. You could also retain the data to make more in the future.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ssevy

When I first got my Steamer, I noticed the welded frame under the fairing had a break. I inserted a steel rod into the hollow tube which was broken, and it has held up fine. I would be wary about adding any additional weight to this area unless I beefed up the frame underneath. With this area being at the very end of the front of the bike, it gets a lot of stress from the conservation of angular momentum whenever you are riding on a bumpy road, especially a dirt road that is washboarded.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

London_Phil

Quote from: ssevy on December 22, 2016, 03:05:26 PM
When I first got my Steamer, I noticed the welded frame under the fairing had a break. I inserted a steel rod into the hollow tube which was broken, and it has held up fine. I would be wary about adding any additional weight to this area unless I beefed up the frame underneath. With this area being at the very end of the front of the bike, it gets a lot of stress from the conservation of angular momentum whenever you are riding on a bumpy road, especially a dirt road that is washboarded.

I did exactly the same thing on mine, years ago, no stripping down required. Been fine for 10 yrs.
There was an improved mount frame for later ones, with double tubes where it bolts to the headstock.

KamikazeKunze

Yes Sir, I had the same issue and conducted the same fix!

fishnbiker

Mine has been welded up twice now, mostly used on rough pavement / gravel. No extra weight needed to cause issues.

How about looking at Plexiglas / Lexan? Lighter & can be tinted clear through black plus colours.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

KamikazeKunze

I thought about that as well. Right now I reached out to a fiberglass shop.
I do have a few acrylic shops near me that do fish tanks and such, I'll check with them as well.

Sin_Tiger

There are plenty of inexpensive options for cruisers. Might be worth considering one of those and trim it to your needs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint