News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Should a nOOb Look For: Tiger T400, 1995, 20'500 miles

Started by Birdy68, August 28, 2009, 01:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdy68

I would simply like to say:

This 14 year old bike rides, feels, shifts, responds better than my 2008 Triumph Speedmaster 900i!  :shock:

I can't believe it!
It's great!
I can't keep myself off it!
FANTASTIC bike - great fun.

I'm having a great time fiddling with it too!  :wink:
I've ordered new rubber washers for under the tank fixing screws (5 each side) as the origional ones have finally perished!

I've also relocated the fuse box:

(thanks harre).

I've also removed that windshield thingy! I tried all different positions, but at the end of the day riding without it is best for me.

My self made adjustable fixings! Very strong...
But I just couldn't find a quiet position - always buffeted around!

Even in the lower position - from full forwards to fully layed back... No joy!

I have the Hepco & Becker Tank- & Motor-Protection Bars to fit next - they're hung up in the garage as I didn't have a big enough Torx socket bit!

Now - a quick question:
- Is it normal that there is a hidden 'Neutral' between 5th and 6th?

I've managed to select it 2 or 3 times now.  :?
When riding nice and relaxed, I don't go putting loads of pressure on the shifter stick to lift up into 6th and then rrrRRRRRRRRRmmmmmmm - no gear - hit the hidden Neutral!
Lift a little firmer on the shifter and 'click' - in she goes!
Is this normal - or should I start to worry?
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

Mustang

They are great bikes I love all three of my black steamers !

yep false neutral between 5th and 6th , they all do it , you will soon learn to pull the lever up higher every time you go to 6th .

Good move getting rid of that ugly windshield , .
The only one I have ever found that actually reduces the buffet is the one made by powerbronze . It's small and keeps the wind over your head

harre

Last weekend I tried different distances (angles) of the MRA windshield and could not find a position without buffeting. The best position was with a short distance ( approx 5 cm), with the air hitting the upper part of my helmet. I compared the wind protection to a friend's BMW 1150 GS Adventure, which has a really good windshield with no buffeting. The leaning angles were almost indentical, but the windshield of the 1150, was about 2 cm higher, and it was also  a few cm wider. Apparently this does the trick. I have also experienced that leaning the windshield to much forward, creating a steep angle, would cause nervousness of the front wheel at higher speeds (130-140 km/h).  Previously I have tried the Secdem (now Bullster) windshield, and it worked better. I had no buffeting with that. I looks similar to the powerbronze, but is wider. Looks great on. Sadly, I sold it! :(

I also have found the "neutral" between 5'th and 6'th gear, but only once this year. Perhaps due to the replacement of the sloppy shifter linkage to a modified shifter (see pic). :P

Nice new positioning of the fuse box, will save you some swearing over Triumph engineering. :evil:

Steamers are great. After each season, trying others bikes, the end result is the same: Great value for money, crisp engine, stable handling on all surfaces. But be aware of the sprag clutch issue when cranking, fresh battery highly recommended!

Birdy68

@ Mustang:
Pleased to hear that the hidden Neutral is 'normal'  :?

Like the photo you inserted - which has now lead me to ask the following questions:  :roll:  :)

1) What type of rear suspension are you currently using?
(I see you have an Öhlins sticker on your swing arm & a reservoir tank on cylinder side!)
What would be your recommendations for a new suspension set-up (front & rear) as I have seen that I am still riding the origionals and most people here say they are rubbish!

2) Have you rotated the 'chain adjuster' 180°?
Is this to lower the ride height?
Does it have any occurences when you do this?

3) What side case mounts are you using?
I see that Hepco & Becker do not provide any for the Steamer!  :(
My Tiger came with a GIVI mounting plate! I might just keep that for when using a small box with rain cloths in.
But - I would like to have some more 'substantial' (alu) boxes for when I plan to go up into the mountains - food, camping gear, spares, tools, etc.

4) I have seen that you have an oil pressure gauge fitted! Where did you install it on the motor (I've seen it replaceses the clock).
I'm looking into replacing the stock Water Temperature gauge with something along the lines of one of these 'Dual Water Temp / Oil Pressure':
(I'm just waiting for my Haynes manual so I can find out what the operating pressure / temperatures are)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=R/PPT1011BLA12

or 'Dual Oil Pressure / Oil Temp'

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=R/PPT1014A7

@ Harre:
Like the home-made gear shifter! I suspect it was relativly easy to put together.
How is the shifting now? Is it not too 'sharp'?
I could imagine the origional 'softer' shifter allowed for a more smooother shift.
Birdy68

harre

That's right, shifting is more direct now, but was really easy to get used to. Rebuilding the shifter was simple. I cut loose the shifter arm, adjusted length and angle, and had it welded. Don't remember which bike it was for, but I have the original packaging somewhere.

Mustang

Quote from: "Birdy68"1) What type of rear suspension are you currently using?
(I see you have an Öhlins sticker on your swing arm & a reservoir tank on cylinder side!)
What would be your recommendations for a new suspension set-up (front & rear) as I have seen that I am still riding the origionals and most people here say they are rubbish!

Ohlins is whats on it ............you used to be able to buy one from Jack Lilley in England , Ohlins is not making them for tigers anymore , a lot of folks go with Hagon .

Quote from: "Birdy68"2) Have you rotated the 'chain adjuster' 180°?
Is this to lower the ride height?
Does it have any occurences when you do this?

Lowers the rear end by about an inch and if you pull the forks up in the trees to match she rides real good , just helps me touch down a foot easier on off camber off road stuff .

Quote from: "Birdy68"3) What side case mounts are you using?
I see that Hepco & Becker do not provide any for the Steamer!  :(
My Tiger came with a GIVI mounting plate! I might just keep that for when using a small box with rain cloths in.
But - I would like to have some more 'substantial' (alu) boxes for when I plan to go up into the mountains - food, camping gear, spares, tools, etc.

homemade you need to be crafty if you want stuff for a steamer

Quote from: "Birdy68"4) I have seen that you have an oil pressure gauge fitted! Where did you install it on the motor (I've seen it replaceses the clock).
I'm looking into replacing the stock Water Temperature gauge with something along the lines of one of these 'Dual Water Temp / Oil Pressure':
(I'm just waiting for my Haynes manual so I can find out what the operating pressure / temperatures are)

put a tee in where the original oil pressure sender is , then you will still have the idiot light on dash . On the 95 tigers the oil pressure sender is on the bottom of the motor next to the oil filter cover .
on later steamers it is behind the #3 cylinder on top of the block .
You need to get one that can go up to about 120 psi as when cold the oil pressure is right up there at 5k rpm , but having said that , at normal operating temp the oil pressure varies from next to nothing at idle up to about 60 psi at 5-6 k rpm .

Birdy68

Quote from: "Mustang".... put a tee in where the original oil pressure sender is , then you will still have the idiot light on dash . On the 95 tigers the oil pressure sender is on the bottom of the motor next to the oil filter cover .
on later steamers it is behind the #3 cylinder on top of the block .

:?
Doesn't sound good having a T junction/split hanging down under the engine - waiting for the first big rock to knock it off!
I had a look under the bike and saw what I believe to be the oil filter cover and one or two screw next to it. I take it that one of these is the idiot light sensor (I'll look in my Haynes manual once I'm allowed to open it - can't open it now as it's a birthday present and has to wait till 7th October).
If it is one of those - then I'm sure it's asking to be knocked off!

Behind the #3 cylinder sounds perfect... but alas! It is not to be  :cry:
Birdy68

nightrunner

On the shock, most of the folks here who have changed it go for the Hagon or Traxion (sp?), or have Sasquatch(?) (who owns a bike shop) rebuild their stocker.   I just want to add that Wilbers makes top notch shocks for any bike ever made.  I have a wilbers on my Transalp and love it.  They have adjustable rebound, and high/low speed compression damping adjustments.  And you canorder it with remote hydraulic preload adjustment; so when you take a passenger or luggage, just crank up the knob.  Yu can also order a ride height adjuster.  I have no affliliation, just passing along a comment.  I plan to get one for the Tiger when the stocker wears out.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Birdy68

Quote from: "Mustang"homemade you need to be crafty if you want stuff for a steamer.

Seen these from Hepco & Becker: http://www.kappaluggage.com/hepcobecker-black-pannier-rack-triumph-tiger-up-to-1998-ple-p-10383.html?osCsid=f9e461d7734f1ab6f2e78778868d25d0

Would anyone have any experience with them?
Birdy68