News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need the scoop on chain adjustment

Started by pizzaman383, April 17, 2010, 06:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

worn out rub strip or more than likely badly hooked front sprocket will make noise that you can hear

Bob Tosi

This is a good thread. Thanks for strating it.  Now I have to go back and look mine over again.

QuoteI've cleaned the chain a few times and I just installed a pro-oiler.

Where can these be found?  Mustang, are these a good idea?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Mustang

Advwannabe

Forget loading yourself up with gear and sitting on the bike to check chain tension, not that its a bad idea, just not the best idea.

Your chain will be the tightest when the center of the countershaft sprocket, swingarm pivot and and drive sprocket are aligned. Think about it. At any other point in the swingarm's travel the overal length will be shorter.  

Adjust your chain so you have a little free play at the alignment point, add a little more slack for safety, check that you have no tight spots and you're there.

Set it there, relax the swingarm and measure the tension in the middle of the length. That's what you set it to next time. On my bike that's around 45mm

This method works for every motorcycle ever made, except for BMW's 450cc dirtbike. On this machine the swingarm pivot is at the same location as the countershaft sprocket. Thus the chain tension can be pretty tight because the length of the chain run never varies.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

abruzzi

I'll also throw this out there...if my chain is too tight the first thing I notice is the shifting becomes more notchy. I noticed it on my Girly, when a local dealer changing the rear tire for me put it back together and actually read the (famously misprinted) users manual that recommends (IIRC) 25mm of slack.  The ride home it was a bit noisier, but the shifting was tight and wonky.  Loosened up, and shifted like butter again.  

Geof

wesseld

At the risk of sounding like a dummy, what exactly does a worn out rubstrip look like?
Silver 2006 Triumph Tiger

Mustang

the rub strips job is to protect the aluminum swing arm from being eaten into from the chain ........I bet if you take a minute or two to have a look you can tell whether it is worn out or not  :wink: